Q. I had unprotected oral sex and a few days later I am having itching. Could it be an STD?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Aug 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Two weeks ago, I had oral sex with a man, without using a condom. A few days later, my labia was swollen and itchy. Now, I have a sore throat. My discharge is normal. Is there a possibility that I might have contracted an STD? And, I am only going to a clinic two days from now. Is it too late?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.

• With unprotected oral sex, there can be a transmission of STI (sexually transmitted infections) as well as a low risk for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) acquisition.
  • The chances of acquiring an HIV infection through unprotected oral sex is, however, lower than that through an anal or vaginal sex. But, poor oral hygiene or bleeding gums can convert this low-risk factor to a high-risk exposure.
  • The other STIs which includes herpes, gonorrhea, and syphilis can be passed on to you by oral sex if your partner is infected. A herpes simplex infection can cause cold sores on the mouth. These also can be acquired easily through unprotected oral sex.
  • The labial swelling with itching could be due to candidiasis or even a trichomonal infection.
  • I advise you to get tested for the complete STI panel and also rapid 4th generation HIV test. If it is negative now, repeat the HIV Antibody test at three months of exposure.

Hope your query is answered. Feel free to ask more questions. Best wishes.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

| 

What to do for swollen and bleeding gums?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cut in the gum after having some food. Later, I gargled with Listerine and it worsens the condition with swelling. I am having bleeding gums while brushing. I am 35 years old and I am diabetic. Please do the needful.  Read Full »

What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and exper...  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now