Q. What could be the cause for fluttering feeling in the chest?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 09, 2019

I have a fluttering feeling in the chest regularly and have had an ECG done showing PVCs. Is the attached ECG a cause for concern?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I have gone through the ECG test result, and all seems normal. Nothing significant to be disturbed about. PVCs (premature ventricular contraction) are very common among the healthy population. How long have you this feeling? Have you lost weight lately? Do you feel as if your heart is racing?

I have had the same symptoms off and on for the past seven to eight years. I did not know they were PVCs until I had an ECG done today, and they showed up on the ECG. They will typically be persistent for some time and then go away for a year or longer. I have lost weight lately through high-intensity interval training. When the palpitations do occur, it is more of a fluttering feeling like a butterfly in the chest. Also, sometimes, the palpitations make me cough.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Your symptoms are very typical of PVCs from benign causes. As I stated earlier, they often occur in healthy individuals. A lot of the time, these are factors that could trigger them.

1. Smoking, alcohol, coffee, or the use of illicit substances.

2. Excess exercise and anxiety.

3. Sleeping for less hours in a day.

4. History of any heart disease, not common in young people.

I want you to adjust your lifestyle.

1. Reduce alcohol, tobacco, coffee intake. If you use.

2. Sleep six to seven hours in a day.

3. Make sure not to exercise more than three to four times a week.

Hopefully in a few months you should see improvement. If after taking these measures you do not get better. You might need to use Propranolol. It is a beta-blocker, that has proven to be very effective for PVCs in a majority of my patients. I hope I have been of help to you. Feel free to ask any questions, should you need more clarification.

Can ECG changes occur due to anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetes patient. Recently, I had an ECG done which showed borderline normal sinus arrythmia. Immediately, I had a 2D echo and it showed a normal study. But my blood pressure is not normal. It is around 150/90 and so my doctor advised me to take Betaloc-50. In addition to this, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns. I appreciate the efforts you put in to upload the case completely along with EKG reports (attachment remo...  Read Full

If my treadmill test with echo comes normal, can I stop worrying about my PVC and PAC?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 43 years old with PVC and PAC's. Very mildly elevated cholesterol. I had a treadmill test and it said borderline ST segment changes. So, my cardiologist had me do a treadmill with echo (I do not have the results yet). My question is if I get back the treadmill with echo results and...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If treadmill with echo report comes normal, it rules out major blockages in your coronary arteries. For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full

I am experiencing heart flutters and skipped beats. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 160 lbs. I have been experiencing weird heart flutters and skipped beats. It mostly happens when I am at the gym lifting weight, and taking a deep breath in while doing so. I have always exercised without experiencing such feelin...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are probably having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), which are extra beats and most of the time are benign and not worrisome. The other possibility is atrial fibrillation, especially, if you have episodes of rapid heart beat. Usually, at this young age, i...  Read Full