Q. My puppy accidentally touched my teeth. Do I need to get a vaccine?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
Published on Aug 21, 2018

Today my 2 month old puppy accidentally touched my teeth while I was petting him, but I did not see any scratch or blood. So, do I need to get a vaccine?

I am really worried about the matter. Please let me know.

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

If your puppy did not bruise or abrade you, then there is no need for any vaccination. Vaccination is required in cases of exposure to rabid wild dogs, not pet dogs.

Now, considering the fact that this puppy is your pet, I assume you would have got it vaccinated earlier.

Still, I would advise you to get a course of rabies vaccination. It is under the name of pre-exposureprophylaxis and consists of three to five injections. It is always better to take precautions rather than regretting.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

A dog's teeth touched my fingers. Do I need to take rabies vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding the necessity of rabies treatment for me. Last week, I accidentally disturbed a sleeping dog. It started barking and tried to bite my right hand. I pulled my hand; hence it could not harm me. But, I remember that during this incident its teeth and tongue strongly to...  Read Full »