Q. A dog's teeth touched my fingers. Do I need to take rabies vaccine?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

My query is regarding the necessity of rabies treatment for me. Last week, I accidentally disturbed a sleeping dog. It started barking and tried to bite my right hand. I pulled my hand; hence it could not harm me. But, I remember that during this incident its teeth and tongue strongly touched my fingers. I clearly examined the area many times, but I did not see any skin break or scratches. Then I washed the area with hand wash lotion and water. Should I take any post-exposure treatment? I am asking this because the disease is quite frightening. The dog after the incident was very calm. He fell asleep just a few minutes later. All these incidents happened at my campus. Waiting for your response and thanks in advance.

#

• Is the dog alright? You have to keep watching the dog whether the dog die or not.
  • Since, there is no blood and you said it happened last week; you do not need any vaccine now.

Revert back with the asked details to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you very much for the reply. The incident happened 13 days ago. It is difficult to watch the dog, as there are a few similar dogs. As I mentioned, I am living on my college campus where there are many dogs. I may not be able to identify the one exactly. Anyway, I see all of them around me, and chances are high that the dog is alive. But, whatever the condition of the dog is, since my skin is unbroken, Am I safe? Is it right? Waiting for your reply.

#

• Yes, you are safe and do not worry. Try to stop thinking about the incident now and take care.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|