Q. Should I go for rabies vaccination after a minor scratch by a cat?

Dr. Divakara P

During my vacation I stayed in a hotel where they had 15 pet cats. I picked up a small cat to play, but she jumped from my hand and it felt like a scratch on my forearm. It was very minor, even not a single blood spot or skin removal present. She was completely normal in behavior. Now, I asked them after eight days. They said they are pet but not vaccinated and also say not harmful. They say none of the cat died but does not look very confident to me because they surely do not have any count of them. Should I go for rabies vaccination? Please suggest.

Do you have a question on Rabies or Rabies Vaccine?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Divakara P

M.B.B.S., M.D
Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

I have thoroughly gone through the photos attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) by you and understand your concern.

• The cat or dog bites are classified into three groups based on the severity.
  • A simple scratch with no break in the skin and no bleeding comes under group 1. For group 1 injuries or bites, there is no need for rabies vaccination.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

These pictures are of today's date which is eight days after incident. Is it fine?

Dr. Divakara P

M.B.B.S., M.D

• Pictures after eight days are not useful. But, if you are very confident that there was no blood after the scratch then no need to worry. And also there is no need for rabies vaccination.

I was licked by a dog five years ago. Shall I get vaccinated now?
Query: Hi doctor, Five years ago, I was licked by a domestic dog on my foot. There were cracks below my foot. But, I did not know whether the dog touched those cracks or not. The dog lived for another four years and died. Is there is any use if I take rabies vaccine now?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no use of taking rabies vaccine now. Rest assured and you are not infected. The rabies virus has incubation period between 20 and 90 days, beyond which there is no chance to have rabies in host. Also the dog lived for four years, so it was not infected. If ...  Read Full »

What precautions should be taken for dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been bitten by a dog which is regularly vaccinated. So, what precautions should I take? Can you please let me know the diet for food or something else, please.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. You have been bitten by a dog, so tetanus toxoid and rabies vaccine can be taken for that to prevent tetanus and rabies. But as you said if you are sure that dog is fully immunized with rabies then no need to take the...  Read Full »

Is there any chance of getting rabies when licked by a street dog?
Query: Hi doctor, A dog licked my leg on the street. I have no wounds on the leg. When I came home, I washed my leg with soap and then I found out that I had a little scratch near my hand nail (I did it when I was doing manicure). Is there any chance to get rabies in that way?  Read Full »
Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will recommend you to follow the dog's trails. If it is normal, then there is no problem. If you have any feeling of doubt, then you get a rabies vaccine. Licking an open wound can transmit the virus if the dog has a rabies infection. But, if the dog is good and if yo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now