Q. Is Staphylococcus infection dangerous?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on May 03, 2016

I had unprotected sex two months back and developed Streptococcal infection within a day. I took Amoxicillin to get rid of it. Within five days developed yeast infection and got treatment for that. Now, I have reactive arthritis. I got two painless red bumps on the back of my hand and I do not know whether it is related to reactive arthritis. My urine sample was negative for chlamydia. But, doctor found gram positive Staphylococcus and said it was normal. He suggested Loxonin which is a NSAID. Is Staphylococcus infection dangerous? I had CBC and got the result as monocytes and CRP were elevated. In a gap of two weeks time repeated CBC again and everything was normal. Now, the urine test came out as gram positive. I am suffering from multiple joint inflammation, lightheaded, fatigue, upper respiratory difficulties, papules, conjunctivitis and gram positive Staphylococcus. What is the solution?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

• Could you give me the exact duration of the disease? Which are the joints involved in your case?
  • For reactive arthritis (painful form of inflammatory arthritis), you do not need much of treatment. It normally subsides by itself. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and short course of steroids are usually helpful.
  • But, if it persists more than six weeks then one needs to add Sulfasalazine. Make sure you get HLA-B27 (human leukocyte antigen) done. It will help to determine whether the disease will relapse or going to be prolonged.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I believe it was a month before I started feeling the symptoms. It started in my right knee then moved to my left hip and then right hip. Back of my legs were the worst and I could not move. I am a softball player and a pitcher. The symptoms are getting better though. I am not as sore as I was before. Although I am having pains near my left rib cage, it is warm when I touch the spot. I do see a difference in the symptoms. I have been exercising and stretching a lot along with trying to stay hydrated. There should not be anything to worry about right? I have red lesions on my forearm and some on my hand. I do not have clusters of them. Altogether I have five. Please help.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

• Well, those lesions can be keratoderma blennorrhagicum (thickened skin lesion with mucous discharge) which is a common finding in reactive arthritis.
  • It tends to fade away over time. It is usually seen on the palms and soles.
  • Probably the unprotected sex triggered the reactive arthritis. It is very difficult to isolate the organism in urine. But nevertheless, complete a course of antibiotics like Doxycycline for five to seven days.
  • As for arthritis, NSAIDS are the safest. Since you say it is already improving, you do not need much of treatment at this stage.
  • But, do get HLA-B27 done. It will help us to know if there can be a relapse.
  • Avoid eating uncooked food outside, as diarrhea can be another trigger for arthritis.
  • Do not worry about Staphylococcus. It can be a commensal that is just incidentally found. If you had Staphylococcus aureus then you would be more sick than this. So, I do not think you need antibiotics for it.
  • As of now, be mobile and continue Loxonin (Loxoprofen) as and when needed and get the test done.

Unprotected sex.

HLA-B27.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a rheumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I have got allergic reaction to Doxycycline. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had an allergic reaction to Doxycycline and broke out with hives and skin rashes. What can I do to clear it up?  Read Full »

Why am I having red rashes on my body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having red rashes on my body over my two sides of tummy, over two arms and forearms, calves also. This issue started before eight months. Started taking medicine and after two weeks it started showing symptoms of getting cured but when I stopped medicine it again started.Other th...  Read Full »

Nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 27 years old, 50 kg, 162 cm. Just before sleeping at 11:30 AM, I took two Panadol advance pills and one Muscerol 3 pill altogether. I have not eaten for the last five hours earlier. Later that night, I woke up around 2 AM feeling nausea which lasted for a few minutes. S...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now