Q. Can I reduce my BP with only exercises?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My blood pressure is high. Can I reduce my blood pressure from 146/95 mmHg to normal, just with regular exercises? I started working out at the gym for an hour, both in the mornings as well as in the evenings, since the last two days. Do I still need to continue my medications?

#

I observe that your BMI (body mass index) is 28, which means you comes under BMI category overweight.

• Also, check if you have a snoring problem. You could be having sleep apnea, which is a reversible cause of high blood pressure.
  • I suggest you do some aerobic exercises rather than lift weights.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. How much time would it take to reduce the blood pressure to normal, if I do aerobics two hours a day?

#

• The lowering of your blood pressure depends on the amount of weight loss rather than the time. Every 1 kg weight loss roughly translates into 1 mmHg decrease in systolic (upper level) blood pressure, which means you should ideally lose around 15 to 18 kg.
  • The guidelines still recommend medication for your level of blood pressure. So, I would not recommend an abrupt stoppage of drugs.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|