Q. Can I reduce my BP with only exercises?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My blood pressure is high. Can I reduce my blood pressure from 146/95 mmHg to normal, just with regular exercises? I started working out at the gym for an hour, both in the mornings as well as in the evenings, since the last two days. Do I still need to continue my medications?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I observe that your BMI (body mass index) is 28, which means you comes under BMI category overweight.

• Also, check if you have a snoring problem. You could be having sleep apnea, which is a reversible cause of high blood pressure.
  • I suggest you do some aerobic exercises rather than lift weights.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Thank you for replying. How much time would it take to reduce the blood pressure to normal, if I do aerobics two hours a day?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

• The lowering of your blood pressure depends on the amount of weight loss rather than the time. Every 1 kg weight loss roughly translates into 1 mmHg decrease in systolic (upper level) blood pressure, which means you should ideally lose around 15 to 18 kg.
  • The guidelines still recommend medication for your level of blood pressure. So, I would not recommend an abrupt stoppage of drugs.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Why am I experiencing rapid weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a concern regarding my weight. I have lost about 2 to 2.5 kg in a month's time. I have not exercised recently. I weighed 74.4 kg last month, and now I weigh 72.8 kg. Moreover, my waist circumference has also decreased. I am worried about this sudden weight loss. Could this indic...  Read Full »

How can behavior with dogs be changed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have three kids and three dogs. Our dogs steal shoes from porch and wander outside fence. We all treat it as normal behavior and try to teach them peacefully. But they of course do not listen. And my husband hits them with shoes regularly trying to teach them not to steal shoes. It hap...  Read Full »

Is there any rule that fruits cannot be eaten on an empty stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to improve my eating habit. Please suggest based on the following information. We follow staple food in the family. Rice for lunch and dinner and roti, oats, etc., for breakfast. Predominant side dish for lunch or dinner is fish, vegetables and dal. Occasionally, chicken, mutton ...  Read Full »