Q. Does frequent eye flashes mean retinal tear?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

I sometimes see flashes or running light in my eyes since last one and a half year. They come once in 3 to 4 months. I can see only flashes for 10 minutes, after then my vision is back to normal. I consulted a doctor around a month back she even checked my retina and vision both were fine and gave no medicine. After that, four days ago, it happened again. So, I consulted a new doctor. He prescribed Toba DM and Flur eye drops. I am 18 years old boy, 5’4", weight 45 kg. I am fearing about whether it is a retinal tear.

#

Flashes are seen in retinal tears, but they are also seen in various other conditions. It is great that you have got your retina evaluated. But in the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is nothing mentioned which requires Toba DM or Flur for management. I would recommend that you discuss with your doctor why those medications have been started or you stop using them immediately. Long-term use of steroid drops may lead to high intraocular pressure and damage to vision due to glaucoma. Take care.

|