Q. How long will it take to recover from rheumatism?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

My wife is having swelling over the collarbone and back. Our doctor diagnosed rheumatism after blood test. Now, she has pain in ribs when she carries our 2 year old son or any weight. Our doctor had prescribed Bon-DK, Bon-K2, etc. How long will it take to recover? Is this a serious problem? Will this get cured? Please explain.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Yes, the treatment given is right. The prescribed medicines and the dosages are all fine.
  • She needs to take some anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce the inflammation and the swelling of the soft tissues.
  • Her ESR being high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), suggests that there is a cause of a low grade inflammation.
  • This can be found out by doing the following tests such as anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody), ANA - antinuclear antibody and serum uric acid. You need to do these tests to find out the exact cause of the raised ESR.
  • There is also low vitamin D level for which he has given supplementation, which is very appropriate.
  • This usually takes about four to six weeks to reduce and it might come back again. So, I will surely suggest you do the above investigations and find out the cause.
  • This can be a serious problem if it is diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis or soft tissue rheumatism (pain and inflammation of joints, muscles, fibrous tissue) and can be kept under control with medicines. Both these conditions can be managed with medicines most of the times.

Anti-CCP, ANA and serum uric acid.

1. Rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Soft tissue rheumatism.
3. Seronegative arthritis.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 
Thanks doctor, patient name is T Sumithra, kamalanathansatish@gmail.com, 9449059901, 38 yrs. I am enclosing the prolong caps details, was unable to do before due to attachment problems in icliniq.

Dr. Lokesh

# Hi ,
Good day ,

Prolong tablet is fine ,
U can take this ,
I will add you to my profile on icliniq ,

Regards

| 

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now