Q. How long will it take to recover from rheumatism?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

My wife is having swelling over the collarbone and back. Our doctor diagnosed rheumatism after blood test. Now, she has pain in ribs when she carries our 2 year old son or any weight. Our doctor had prescribed Bon-DK, Bon-K2, etc. How long will it take to recover? Is this a serious problem? Will this get cured? Please explain.

#

• Yes, the treatment given is right. The prescribed medicines and the dosages are all fine.
  • She needs to take some anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce the inflammation and the swelling of the soft tissues.
  • Her ESR being high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), suggests that there is a cause of a low grade inflammation.
  • This can be found out by doing the following tests such as anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody), ANA - antinuclear antibody and serum uric acid. You need to do these tests to find out the exact cause of the raised ESR.
  • There is also low vitamin D level for which he has given supplementation, which is very appropriate.
  • This usually takes about four to six weeks to reduce and it might come back again. So, I will surely suggest you do the above investigations and find out the cause.
  • This can be a serious problem if it is diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis or soft tissue rheumatism (pain and inflammation of joints, muscles, fibrous tissue) and can be kept under control with medicines. Both these conditions can be managed with medicines most of the times.

Anti-CCP, ANA and serum uric acid.

1. Rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Soft tissue rheumatism.
3. Seronegative arthritis.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thanks doctor, patient name is T Sumithra, kamalanathansatish@gmail.com, 9449059901, 38 yrs. I am enclosing the prolong caps details, was unable to do before due to attachment problems in icliniq.
# Hi ,
Good day ,

Prolong tablet is fine ,
U can take this ,
I will add you to my profile on icliniq ,

Regards

|