Q. How long will it take to recover from rheumatism?

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

Hi doctor,

My wife is having swelling over the collarbone and back. Our doctor diagnosed rheumatism after blood test. Now, she has pain in ribs when she carries our 2 year old son or any weight. Our doctor had prescribed Bon-DK, Bon-K2, etc. How long will it take to recover? Is this a serious problem? Will this get cured? Please explain.


This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Yes, the treatment given is right. The prescribed medicines and the dosages are all fine.
  • She needs to take some anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce the inflammation and the swelling of the soft tissues.
  • Her ESR being high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), suggests that there is a cause of a low grade inflammation.
  • This can be found out by doing the following tests such as anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody), ANA - antinuclear antibody and serum uric acid. You need to do these tests to find out the exact cause of the raised ESR.
  • There is also low vitamin D level for which he has given supplementation, which is very appropriate.
  • This usually takes about four to six weeks to reduce and it might come back again. So, I will surely suggest you do the above investigations and find out the cause.
  • This can be a serious problem if it is diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis or soft tissue rheumatism (pain and inflammation of joints, muscles, fibrous tissue) and can be kept under control with medicines. Both these conditions can be managed with medicines most of the times.

Investigations to be done:

Anti-CCP, ANA and serum uric acid.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Soft tissue rheumatism.
3. Seronegative arthritis.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?

Thanks doctor, patient name is T Sumithra, kamalanathansatish@gmail.com, 9449059901, 38 yrs. I am enclosing the prolong caps details, was unable to do before due to attachment problems in icliniq.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
# Hi ,
Good day ,

Prolong tablet is fine ,
U can take this ,
I will add you to my profile on icliniq ,


Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.