Q. Please explain my chest x-ray report.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan


Do you have a question on Rheumatoid Arthritis or Methotrexate? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I am a 36 year old male. For mild chest pain, I have got my chest x-ray PA view done as suggested by my rheumatologist. My doctor said that x-ray report shows changes of chronic bronchitis in both lungs more in lower zones and old fibrotic scarring is seen in left apex. I am suffering from arthritis for which I am on medication. I have glaucoma. My medication at present for arthritis is Cobix 200 twice daily, HCQS 200 once daily, Pan D before breakfast, Rosuvas once at night, Tryptomer 10 in night, Espidase DP, Folvite 5 mg and Imutrex 15 mg once in a week. Kindly suggest me medication according to the reports attached. Please do not suggest me any other doctor or any hospital as I want to get treated through your medication.

Related Questions:
Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?
What can be done to slow the disease progression in ankylosing spondylitis?
In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Critical Care Physician, Diabetology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Gastroenterology,


Welcome to icliniq.com.

We are here to help you.

  • You are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and the findings of your chest x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) can be due to the following reasons:
  1. Smoking.
  2. Allergy.
  3. Rheumatoid related interstitial lung disease (ILD).
  4. Methotrexate lung.

The treatment would be based on the symptoms that you might be getting. I would advice in such case to first get a HRCT chest (high resolution CT scan) along with sputum for AFB (acid-fast bacilli) done, which would rule out the evidence of tuberculosis. Rest for rheumatoid arthritis, your treatment is going in right direction. Further treatment decision would be based on CT chest.

The Probable causes:

Rheumatoid arthritis.

Investigations to be done:

CT chest.

Preventive measures:

Avoid smoking.


Hi doctor,

Thank you for your guidance. As suggested by you, we have performed sputum for AFB test. Result states no acid fast bacilli seen. Please find the report attached for sputum. I have still not conducted the HRCT chest as this scan is expensive for me. Request you to kindly suggest me medication for the chronic bronchitis to be treated for which I had attached chest x-ray report rather than CT. My weight is 64 kg. What do you mean by Methotrexate lung?


Dr. Anshul Varshney
Critical Care Physician, Diabetology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Gastroenterology,


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

People suffering from rheumatoid arthritis can have associated interstitial lung disease. Even one can develop Methotrexate lung following long-term use of the Methotrexate drug, as you have been taking once weekly.

I would like to know the symptoms that you are feeling related to lung issues. So, treatment would be based on that. As far as remaining treatment is concerned you need to carry on the same. I would recommend you to see a senior physician in your area or a rheumatologist for the same.

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Will leprosy spread within a family?
Query: Hi doctor, Our close family member has leprosy. Should we need to take MDT? Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to share few facts about leprosy. Leprosy is contagious, because Mycobacterium leprae is transmitted from one person to another by droplet infection through nasal or respiratory mucosa or by direct contact in susceptible persons. All persons exposed to this disease...  Read Full »
Kindly comment on my psoriasis prescription.
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from psoriasis in my palm. When I was 12 years old, I had this disease for the first time. After taking some medicines it disappeared. But, it used to come on and off. In the past one year, I have faced this problem quite often. In between, I had homeopathy. As it ca...  Read Full »
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your treatment is right. But, do not take Folitrax for long duration (Methotrexate) as it can adversely affect your liver and immunity. Also, if it is limited to palm and soles, then there is no need to take it. Because, Folitrax is meant for use in severe pso...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Ankylosing Spondylitis
This article discusses about the causes, pathology, clinical features, musculoskeletal manifestation, investigation and ...Read more »
Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?
Hello doctor, There is a complaint of severe pain in both the legs in my wife who is 14 weeks pregnant. She is unable t ...Read more »
The pulse rate started to fall after giving Epinephrine in a 4-year-old child. Kindly give your opinion.
Hello doctor, I am reviewing the patient care of a 4-year-old child diagnosed with the flu. He was having trouble breat ...Read more »