Q. Swelling and hard bumps on elbow, sore, stiff hands in the morning. Should I go to a rheumatologist?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Oct 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2018

Dear doctor,

I have recently had a baby. I experience sore, stiff hands in the morning, swelling, hard bumps on the elbow. There is a history of rheumatoid arthritis in my family. Blood work is negative. Should I go to a rheumatologist?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

From your history, it seems that you are suffering fromrheumatoid arthritis. This is more in females, having morning stiffness of the joint and improve during the day and presence of nodules over bony prominences.

Yes, you need to go to a rheumatologist for proper evaluation and regular follow up. It is an autoimmune disorder which will affect various organs of the body at various stages.

If there is a delay in starting with the treatment, it can cause a restriction of movements of the joints, and involvement of other organs also.

Investigations to be done are CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), RFT (renal function test), X-ray, RF (rheumatoid factor), ANA (antinuclear antibody), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen), Anti HCV (anti-hepatitis C virus), TFT (thyroid function test).

Management is with NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and other DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs) that can be decided after proper evaluation.

You can follow up with a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Can Aleve and Goody's powder cause stomach upset?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a migraine, so I took two tablets of Aleve. It did not work, so I took Goody's powder, but the pain was still there, so I took another one. The migraine pain has gone, but my stomach seems to be upset.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your headache. Aleve (Naproxen) and Goody's powder (combination of Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and Caffeine) both contain NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Piroxicam, Diclofenac, etc. Although NSAIDs are very...  Read Full

Arthritis in Its Many Forms

Article Overview: Arthritis is defined as the inflammation of a joint. There are various types of arthritis and despite their similarities, they can be differentiated from one another based on a number of factors. Early detection and treatment of each kind are important for conserving the functions of the joints involved. Read Article

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Rheumatologist

What to think when you have a swollen, red and painful joint? Here are some of the common conditions that cause a swollen painful joint. 1. Gout It is a condition characterized by the deposition of monosodium urate crystals in the joint. Commonly affected joints are - the first metatarsophalangeal...  Read Article

Nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 27 years old, 50 kg, 162 cm. Just before sleeping at 11:30 AM, I took two Panadol advance pills and one Muscerol 3 pill altogether. I have not eaten for the last five hours earlier. Later that night, I woke up around 2 AM feeling nausea which lasted for a few minutes. S...  Read Full >>

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The drugs that you mentioned all contain NSAIDs. These drugs are known to damage stomach mucosal lining and cause gastritis. I would suggest to minimise these drugs. You can use some over-the-counter antacids like Pantoprazole or Ranitidine available at stores along ...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now