Q. Can ear wax or hair lodgement in the ear canal cause an unusual sound in the left ear?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I have been hearing a constant unusual sound in my left ear for the past six days. I consulted my doctor yesterday, and he said that there are no issues in the outer ear, and the sound might be because of ear wax or hair lodged between the eardrum and throat. He prescribed Prednisolone six tablets per day for five days and advised me to use olive oil on the affected side and sleep on the same side. As well as to take steam inhalation. I do not have pain, giddiness, or discharge, but I could feel slight itching occasionally.

I visited him before 15 days when I felt some fluid between the eardrum and throat. And he has been prescribed Zyrtec-D twice daily for three days.

Please help.

#

1) Is the hissing sound associated with any nose block, runny nose, throat pain, or itching?

2)Have you consulted an ENT specialist in your locality?

3)Did your doctor check your inner ear using an otoscope?

4) Do you take any antihistamines?

5) Did your doctor examine your nose?

6) Do you smoke?

If the outer ear is alright, the problem is due to some catarrh in the eustachian tube. And kindly do not put oil inside the ear if the outer ear is clean.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, doctor, I do smoking. And I have not consulted any ENT specialist yet. There is no itching in any part. In the morning, after a shower, I am experiencing a slight runny nose for a minute. My doctor checked inside my ear but did not examine my nose. And also, he tested my hearing with the vibrating metal fork-like instrument. My left ear sounded a bit less than my right.

I have not used oil for my ears yet.

Thanks.

#

With the set of events described by you, I feel it started with the cold and runny nose. This could have blocked the eustachian tube on the left side. As a result, some secretions and mucus could have accumulated in that ear, leading to the sound and mild reduction in hearing.

We would ideally give a short course of antibiotics, nasal decongestants, mucolytics, and steam inhalation. Steroids are given only if the above treatment does not improve your symptoms.

You can continue with the meds given. I suggest you start taking tablet Z-pack (Azithromycin), Mondeslor (Desloratadine and Montelukast), do steam inhalation and use Otrivin nose drops (Xylometazoline) as well.

Take care.

|