Q. What causes ringing sensation in ear?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2020

I have experienced ringing in my right ear 3 days ago and it has not stopped since then. It is not that loud and I do not hear it when the environment is noisy. It is really bothering and stressing me out and I do not know what to do. I wanted to have this checked but it is just so hard to get an appointment and go out right now given the covid situation. Please help me understand this. Thank you.

#

Taking your age into account I would like to recommend you not to use earphones or listen to very loud music, avoid caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee, alcohol, if any. Sleep completely, do not take stress. Please mention which type of sound you are perceiving, tone type or noise type. Use resound relief app (android/iOS) on speaker with moderate sound during silence, because the inside sound must be bothering you during silence and sleep. This is called tinnitus that you are suffering from, most probably with these practice it will go away, please after this situation goes normal go for puretone audiometry test and immitance audiometry test along with otoscopy.

|