Q. I had a spongy green stuff coming out from my root canal treated tooth. Could this be mold?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I had a root canal before two months. And recently I felt something was stuck in the hole like chicken. I brushed, rinsed, flossed, and tugged, but it did not come out. My friend looked, and it tries to tell me it was my tooth. Well after about two weeks I decided to take tweezers and pull, and a huge chunk of food came out but liked spongy green stuff was on the end of it. Was this mold, and do you think my hole mouth is affected?

#

I have to say this. Your root canal treatment was not completed. The green spongy thing is nothing but discolored cotton pellet used to cover the root openings top of which a temporary filling was done. This is so obvious that the tooth was not given a permanent filling at all. Please check with your dentist again for the X-rays taken before and after the treatment which will allow to find out if the root canals were filled or not.

The reason for the food lodgement is that the temporary filling has dissolved slowly and left-back the big cavity to snug in the food particles. Now, there are a lot of chances for the bugs to retain in the tooth for which you had to undergo a second thorough cleaning of the root canals (most probably without injections). Meanwhile, I advise you to use chlorhexidine mouthwash 0.2 % (without alcohol) 10 ml and rinse with it twice daily for a minute and a week. This will give you an antiseptic effect and remove bad odor.

| 

Which is the best treatment for badly decayed front teeth in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3.5 years old daughter's upper front four teeth have decayed very badly and our dentist has advised on either root canal treatment or taking them out. Which treatment is best suited overall for my daughter?  Read Full »

How to stop teeth from tingling?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fuzzy feeling in my teeth. Kind of like a tingling it is not really pain but it sends chills through my gums and it has been going on for like four days. How should I stop it?  Read Full »

Is my treatment for cough the right one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having cough for two to three weeks now. It is mostly dry and frequent throughout the day. I am getting two to three coughs at one time and then it continues. Currently, I am taking Piriton-CS, Pantocid and Montek-LC. I had bronchitis problem a few years back wherein I used to get ...  Read Full »