Q. I had a spongy green stuff coming out from my root canal treated tooth. Could this be mold?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had a root canal before two months. And recently I felt something was stuck in the hole like chicken. I brushed, rinsed, flossed, and tugged, but it did not come out. My friend looked, and it tries to tell me it was my tooth. Well after about two weeks I decided to take tweezers and pull, and a huge chunk of food came out but liked spongy green stuff was on the end of it. Was this mold, and do you think my hole mouth is affected?

Do you have a question on Root Canal Treatment or Chlorhexidine Mouthwash?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

BDS., CERTIFICATE IN AESTHETIC DENTISTRY
Dentistry

I have to say this. Your root canal treatment was not completed. The green spongy thing is nothing but discolored cotton pellet used to cover the root openings top of which a temporary filling was done. This is so obvious that the tooth was not given a permanent filling at all. Please check with your dentist again for the X-rays taken before and after the treatment which will allow to find out if the root canals were filled or not.

The reason for the food lodgement is that the temporary filling has dissolved slowly and left-back the big cavity to snug in the food particles. Now, there are a lot of chances for the bugs to retain in the tooth for which you had to undergo a second thorough cleaning of the root canals (most probably without injections). Meanwhile, I advise you to use chlorhexidine mouthwash 0.2 % (without alcohol) 10 ml and rinse with it twice daily for a minute and a week. This will give you an antiseptic effect and remove bad odor.

Is root canal treatment necessary if there is no pain in the tooth?
Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Which is the best treatment for badly decayed front teeth in a child?
Query: Hello doctor, My 3.5 years old daughter's upper front four teeth have decayed very badly and our dentist has advised on either root canal treatment or taking them out. Which treatment is best suited overall for my daughter?  Read Full >>
Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Go for antibiotic coverage and meanwhile get the culprit teeth extracted if it is definitely amongst the first four. These are milk teeth which will come at age of 6. Do not get them extracted together. The one or two causing severe infection should be extracted out. A...  Read Full

Am I under the right treatment for cough?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having cough for two to three weeks now. It is mostly dry and frequent throughout the day. I am getting two to three coughs at one time and then it continues. Currently, I am taking Piriton-CS, Pantocid and Montek-LC. I had bronchitis problem a few years back wherein I used to get ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details you have posted. The medications you are taking are good, but as you were saying that you continue to have dry cough since three weeks some changes need to be done. Avoid cool drinks or cool water. Do gargles with Listerine or Chlorhe...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now