Q. What is the difference between a dentist and an endodontist?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a few queries about dental stuff. What is the difference between a dentist and an endodontist? To whom should we go for a root canal? What is the difference between BDS and MDS? Is antibiotic required for the root canal?

#

I went through your query.

Dental surgeons are of two types.

B.D.S. - Bachelor of dental surgery.

M.D.S. - Master of dental surgery.

You can go for a root canal to any of the dental surgeons. It depends upon their skills.

In B.D.S., we are taught of almost every procedure, including root canals.

M.D.S. (a specific stream of endodontics) deals explicitly with a root canal.

It all depends upon the individual skill of the doctor. I specifically prescribe antibiotics before a root canal or extraction for bacterial coverage and faster healing. Well, painkillers are least needed in the root canal as patients do not complain of pain by second sitting. Well, there is always an exception. In a root canal, you need to get sittings three to four times, depending upon the infection (duration of three to four days). I hope I answered all your queries. Kindly let me know if you have any further doubts. I hope it was helpful.

| 

Which is the best treatment for badly decayed front teeth in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3.5 years old daughter's upper front four teeth have decayed very badly and our dentist has advised on either root canal treatment or taking them out. Which treatment is best suited overall for my daughter?  Read Full »

Would antibiotics during pregnancy cause any harm?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 8 weeks pregnant. A couple of days before, the doctor did a urine routine and report stated that 12 to 14 pus cells. Then, we did a urine culture as well and after 48 hours of the culture, the report came as bacteria not seen. In this case, do we need to take antibiotics to cl...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»