Q. Can I switch from Metronidazole to Soolantra cream for rosacea?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I live in a tropical country, where the exposure to the sun is too much. My skin used to be fair before moving to this country. Back in my country, I used to never go out in the sun. After I moved here, my skin is burnt. It was red at first, and then the blood vessels were visible. I started using Metronidazole cream from two years, for 4 to 5 months with breaks, after I was diagnosed with rosacea. I even tried laser treatment last year, but it did not help much. My condition is slowly getting worse, and I stopped Metronidazole cream last year. When can I start using Metronidazole again? Can I switch to Soolantra? I have read that it is a new cream for type 2 rosacea. Do I have type one or type 2 rosacea? Should I try laser or IPL? I have attached a picture of my skin.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Indeed your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are more in favor of acne rosacea.
  • This is a chronic and recurrent condition characterized by erythema with flushing sensation, predominantly affecting the cheeks. The management of rosacea needs to be holistic, ranging from medication to lifestyle modifications.
  1. To begin with, you first have to start using a sunscreen regularly, preferably a one with physical blockers such a titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, in the mornings.
  2. Azelaic acid 20 % or Metronidazole 0.75 to 2 %, do work well for rosacea. They can be applied in the evenings.
  3. IPL (intense pulsed light) and other lasers would be more helpful in treating the vascularity, which tends to persist after using the creams. Lasers would be helpful in later stages.
  4. Apart from this, you should strictly avoid exposure to extremes of both hot and cold weather and food items, restrain from spicy foods, and try not to treat your skin harsh by forcibly rubbing it.

Hope this is helpful.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I got fever, lots of blisters and hair fall. What can be used at the earliest?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I had severe fever and body ache before a week. I had a rash before days. Then the next daI got a few more rashes and then a lot of blisters all over. I did not scratch them. I just applied Lactocalamine lotion on the dots. I was taking Azithromycin and Acyclo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chickenpox rash may take a course between 5 to 15 days (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is advisable not to pick the scabs. You can continue with Lactocalamine. Once the scabs fall off, you could start using sunscreen lotion during the day and a ski...  Read Full

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ahaglow (alpha hydroxy acid) face wash can be used to wash the face. La shield sunscreen can be used in the morning as it is non-comedogenic. Please upload an image of your face, so that depending on the skin type, pigmentation, and acne, medications can be suggest...  Read Full

I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.

Query: Hello Doctor, I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Natural complexion is the best. Cosmetics do more harm than good. You can avoid them. Melanin pigment in the skin protects against cancers. Presence of more melanin in the skin gives the dark complexion. You can use sunscreen lotions which help in preventing tan d...  Read Full