Q. What are some common causes of one-sided SI joint pain?

Dr. Shakti A. Goel
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

What are some common causes of one-sided SI joint pain that comes and goes? I am 25 years old and just had a baby (naturally) 10 months ago. The back pain started at eight months postpartum.

#

There are various causes for SI (sacroiliac) joint pain which range from:

1. Osteoarthritis. Years of stress on the SI joint can eventually wear down the cartilage and lead to osteoarthritis.
  2. Ankylosing spondylitis. Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of inflammatory arthritis that affects the vertebrae and joints of the spine.
  3. Gout.
  4. Injury.
  5. Pregnancy.
  6. Walking patterns.

Considering your history, it appears more likely due to pregnancy and incorrect posture. It is imperative to know if you are able to fold your legs, any pain in bending forward or backward, any issue in walking. Mild SI joint pains can get relieved with exercises. Severe may require SI joint injections.

Please let me know if something else is required.

|