Q. I have a swollen ear with dry, itchy, and flaky patches in the ear. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 28 years old with a weight of 62 kg and a height of 5.4 feet. I had a history of thyroid goiter. I also have a middle ear infection. My ear is swollen, and have difficulty in chewing with mild fever. Whenever I use buds in the ear, this problem starts. I have dry, itchy, and flaky patches in the ear.

#

Have you shown to any ENT specialist who had told you that you have a middle ear infection? If yes, you can share the details. I want to know your ear findings written in the prescription. Based on that, only I can come to any diagnosis. I am enabling free follow up. If you have the swelling around the ear, can you share a picture of the swelling or where you have the pain?

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

Yes, I had consulted it earlier, but I do not have a prescription with me. He said that I have a fungal infection and told to prevent my ear from water while bathing and not to use dry buds.

#

Your problem can be temporomandibular joint inflammation or salivary gland infection (parotid), or ear infection. We can confirm the diagnosis only after examining you.

For now, you can start taking,

1. Tablet Paracetamol 1 g thrice daily for five days (after food).
  2. Tablet Chymoral forte (Trypsin or Chymotrypsin) before food thrice daily for five days.
  3. Proton pump inhibitor (Pantoprazole 40 mg) twice daily for five days (before food).

Avoid chewing from the side where you have pain.

These medicines will reduce inflammation.

If your symptoms increase or remain the same after two days of taking the treatment, please get back. I will have to start you on antibiotics as well, which I have not started now.

|