Q. My schizophrenic mother turns violent on auditory and visual hallucinations. Please suggest medication.

Answered by
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2020

Hello doctor,

My mother has paranoia schizophrenia for the past 16 years. The delusions have become very absurd and in her story, her immediate family is the culprit. She has very vivid auditory hallucinations and sometimes visual hallucinations. She has refused to see a doctor as she believes they are in on it. Her stage of psychosis is very violent in which she screams and shouts and also turns violent. This has been going on for 16 years, but now the episodes of psychosis are becoming more intense. Please advise on how to talk to her or at the very least medicate her because it is taking a toll on our mental health. My sister suffers from depression and I suffer from anger management. How our father holds it together I have no clue. Please advise.


This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is quite difficult to manage such issues when patient refuses to take the drug. However, nowadays Depot injections are available and their effect lasts up to four weeks. So talk to your psychiatrist regarding the injection. Once she is put on a monthly injection then it will be easier for you to give her a monthly dose. This will ensure drug compliance and a better outcome.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

We are not consulting any psychiatrist as such. If you are willing to help, can you please draw up a prescription that we can administer? Because things are getting out of hand. Please help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

If you have never consulted a psychiatrist or not consulted a psychiatrist recently, then first consult with a psychiatrist. Your physician prescribed antidepressants is not helpful if she is suffering from schizophrenia. To make sure of the diagnosis of schizophrenia she needs to consult by a psychiatrist.

Once it is confirmed then an orally disintegrable tablet can be used, as these tablet melt in the mouth or monthly Depot injections can be used. Few drugs are available that can be mixed in food but not without the patients consent.

Also, some routine investigation are necessary for starting psychiatric medicine like CBC (complete blood count), baseline ECG (electrocardiography), weight, blood pressure, etc. When you take her to physician, at that time also consult a psychiatrist so that her condition can be managed.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have a doubt about the dosage of Sulpitac for schizophrenia. Please help.

Query: Hello Doctor, My brother (aged 18 years) has schizophrenia since two years. (Note : My father has schizophrenia who is under medication for nearly 25 to 30 years). The tablets prescribed by the doctor were Mirtaz 15 and Sulpitac 50. During this period he had an increased appetite and was obese. He ...  Read Full »

Can tactile hallucination occur due to alcohol abstinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have schizophrenia for more than 25 years. I had Clozapine for 15 years and now I am on Aripiprazole. I stayed away from alcohol for eight years. Before six months, I had alcohol once. Now, I am having some tactile hallucination. Is it due to alcohol abstinence? Will it disappear?  Read Full »

Please mention the drugs that affect libido.

Query: Hello doctor, I need your comments on the medications that affect libido. Mention some common drugs, such as antidepressants and birth control pills that can affect the sex drive.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.