Q. My son has lower back pain but, only at night. What could be the reason?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son has been complaining of a lower back pain only at night for the last month. It is not severe enough to awaken him but, as soon as he lays down he starts complaining. Kindly note that this issue occurs only at night time.

#

An interesting query here. 

• However, this must be a minor issue since it is not interfering with day to day normal activities. These are the points I would like to highlight:
  1. There may be a local swelling or pus formation inside the spine or just around it, which might be getting compressed when he is sleeping. There is a high likelihood of it being outside the spine since he has no such complaints while sitting or walking.
  2.  The only way to find out is by doing a USG of the area of the spine which hurts the most. Another option would be a CT scan of the entire spine which may expose the child to radiations but, will completely remove our doubts. The treatment will be as per the findings on the imaging tests.
  3. There may be some muscle or ligament strain here probably because your child may be highly active and playful. The best way to relieve such a pain is to rest and the use of local and systemic anti-inflammatory drugs for a few days.

I hope I have answered your query. Please revert in case of a problem.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you so much. I really should have not but, I researched online and read that it could be a symptom of cancer or a tumor. Do you think this could be a possibility? He does not have any symptoms other than the nightly pain. And also, why has is not gone away?

#

• I think it is better to investigate rather than worry. It might, after all, be nothing. Let us now focus on the investigations, so that the treatment can be planned accordingly.

I will do that.

#

• Alright. Please keep me updated.

I took my son to urgent care and they took X-rays. They said that he might have a very slight case of scoliosis in the lumbar region. But, they said it is so slight that they do not think that it should cause him any pain. The doctor told me to give him Ibuprofen for one week and ice it at night. So, for the last two days I have been giving him Ibuprofen for two days and he said that the pain still has not gone away. If the Ibuprofen does not take the pain away, what do you think it could be? I am just wondering if this is a serious concern. Thanks.

#

• Ibuprofen can be given for a total period of up to five days. As there seems to be no significant anomaly on the X-ray, I do not find any major reason to worry.
  • Also, since they say there is some degree of scoliosis, we would have to correlate the exact point of scoliotic curvature of the spine with the site of pain. If the two points are the same, an orthopedic doctor needs to be consulted in order to decide the further course of treatment.

I think we can hold on to a total of five days of Ibuprofen. If there is no relief, please consult an orthopedic.

Thank you so much. I am really happy that you are very responsive. I appreciate it.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Let me know if I may be of any help to you. Please update me about what is happening with your son, so that we can take appropriate steps towards the treatment.

I will. Thank you.

#

• Take care. You are most welcome.

|