Q. My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally. Please help.

Dr. Danish Qureshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally and has also taken the following medicines that are on severe interaction list with Geodon in the last 24 hours. Zithromax, Codeine, thyroid medicines, Omeprazole, Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. She is sleeping now for 3.5 hours after taking Geodon 40 mg orally and having stomach ache. She also used Albuterol and steroid inhaler. She has prescription for Medrol Dosepak, but has not yet taken. She also takes Vistaril, but her last dose got over 72 hours back. Please help.

#

• First of all Geodon (Ziprasidone) is a sedative drug used for insomnia. It decreases the sleep latency and increases the chances of falling asleep.
  • Zithromax (Azithromycin) and food can increase its blood levels and may cause toxicity. Also, elderly patients are more prone to toxicity.
  • Codeine also increases the sedation and respiratory depression.
  • Vistaril (Hydroxyzine) cannot harm her considering that she took it long back.
  • Considering so many aggravating factors. I will recommend you to see a nearby physician and get your mother checked as soon as possible.

For further clarifications consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

|