Q. My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally. Please help.

Dr. Danish Qureshi
Published on Apr 28, 2016

My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally and has also taken the following medicines that are on severe interaction list with Geodon in the last 24 hours. Zithromax, Codeine, thyroid medicines, Omeprazole, Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. She is sleeping now for 3.5 hours after taking Geodon 40 mg orally and having stomach ache. She also used Albuterol and steroid inhaler. She has prescription for Medrol Dosepak, but has not yet taken. She also takes Vistaril, but her last dose got over 72 hours back. Please help.

Dr. Danish Qureshi

Pharmacology
#

• First of all Geodon (Ziprasidone) is a sedative drug used for insomnia. It decreases the sleep latency and increases the chances of falling asleep.
  • Zithromax (Azithromycin) and food can increase its blood levels and may cause toxicity. Also, elderly patients are more prone to toxicity.
  • Codeine also increases the sedation and respiratory depression.
  • Vistaril (Hydroxyzine) cannot harm her considering that she took it long back.
  • Considering so many aggravating factors. I will recommend you to see a nearby physician and get your mother checked as soon as possible.

For further clarifications consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

Is It Tough To Overcome Benadryl Addiction And Get A Sound Sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spending sleepless nights. I am struggling to fall asleep and often get disturbed by dreams. I feel restless legs throughout the night. The next morning when I wake up I feel fatigue. I am addicted to Benadryl to get sleep. But, I am trying to avoid it now. Please guide me for a s...  Read Full »

Why does my eosinophil count increase when the season changes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female. My eosinophil count increase during when the season changes. From the past month, I am having a persistent cough, which is not allowing me to talk. Phlegm is also present. I have taken two bottles of cough syrup Zeet, Sensiclav 625, Montek LC, Rinifol, twice a ...  Read Full »

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full »

Ask a Pharmacologist Now