Q. How can we manage seizure disorder and a learning disability?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar

My daughter has been suffering from a seizure disorder from her birth and has been taking AED. She is 13 years old now and at present she has been taking Valparin Chrono 500 and Levipil 750 both twice daily. She attained puberty before two years and presently studying in sixth standard. She has a learning disability, forgets everything very quickly and needs to be treated specially. But it will not be possible on the part of that school as the school does not provide any special classes for learners with LD or does not have any provision for CWSN. On the other hand, there is no any institution in my locality which provides special education to CWSN. Under the circumstances stated above, I have left no option except to enroll her in an open school and give necessary support to her. Now my question is will it be fine for her in the future to lead a life without any social development?

#

Your daughter has two independent medical problems. The seizure disorder needs management with medications. Her learning disability needs appropriate assessment and remedial work. I do understand that most schools do not offer remedial teaching and they leave the parents with no option other than NIOS (National Institute of open schooling). However, in most cities, there are organizations which are involved in remedial teaching for children with LD (learning disability). You can look up such organizations in your town. Also, children with LD are normal in social and occupational spheres.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can my daughter be able to perform well in future in the field of education? Have you treated such cases earlier?

#

In learning disability, the child finds it extremely difficult to study and perform well in specific subjects. It is better for parents to manage their expectations and not to pressurize the child for academics. These children can do well in life just not only regarding academic achievements.

|