Q. What type of treatment should I get to become a father?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

I have a sperm count of less than 10 million per mL. The semen analysis reported as follows: Volume 3 mL, abnormal forms 0℅, motility - rapidly progressive 20℅, sluggishly progressive 20℅, non progressive10℅ and immotile 50℅, pus cells 10-12/HPF and vitality 50℅. What are the chances of mine able to conceive a child?

#

• Since your sperm count is low and immotile sperm count is high, there is 40% to 50% chance.
  • But, definitely there is a treatment for the same. Please consult your specialist doctor.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What type of treatment should I get? Should I take any medication or any improvement in food habits? How to improve the chances of me being a father?

#

• I suggest you Folic acid supplements and Iron supplements. Also, I suggest tablet Co Q (Coenzyme Q10) once daily for three months.
  • Take plenty of fluids, vegetables, fruits, less oily and spicy food.
  • Wear cotton inner and loose lowers. Meet andrologist and take his guidance for the above treatment.
  • Do get back to me with the reports if the andrologist has advised, so that I can guide you further.
  • Try for pregnancy during the fertile period of your wife. All the best and take care.

What kind of specific report to be done from andrologist? Some are saying that my chance for naturally being a father is negligible and I have to go for IVF or ICSI or IMSI. Is that true?

#

• The andrologist should be the right person to guide you for further tests. Please consult an andrologist first.
  • IVF (in vitro fertilization) or other options are there as a last resort. Let us first try with basic treatment. Take care.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Is surgery necessary in treating varicocele?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male, who is suffering from infertility. I got married three years back, and we have tried to conceive ever since. Recently, I consulted a  urologist here, and he asked me to get a semen, Doppler scrotal, and thyroid tests done. I am attaching the reports. I took the ...  Read Full »

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »

Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

Article Overview: Infertility is when a couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationships without protection. If the patient is more than 35 years old, then infertility treatment is started earlier. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Infertility Specialist

Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»