Q. My SGPT is 49. Is it dangerous to liver?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2020

My SGPT test result is 49. Is it dangerous for the liver?

#

Well, you did not share your body weight? Do you feel any symptoms like fatigue, weakness, or loss of energy? This information is important because only SGPT which is just nearly one and a half times raised cannot tell a diagnosis on its own. To answer your concern that it is harmful? yes it is, but whether it is less harmful or highly harmful, that depends upon the underlying condition.

The causes of such raised SGPT are many folds. But of note, viral hepatitis, obesity, alcohol, and autoimmune hepatitis are the top most reasons for asymptomatic elevation. Some drugs have a tendency to cause raised SGPT commonly Paracetamol. Your rest of the urine report is completely normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I want you to tell me about your symptoms and current body weight before I can suggest a target set of investigations. Let me know about yourself in detail, like prior history of hepatitis, family history of hepatitis, prior blood transfusion, any travel history. I also want to know some personal information, like alcohol consumption, marital status, and sexual history.

Recommending your investigation without any information regarding the case is not a cost effective option. I hope you understand my point.

Raised SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase).

Viral hepatitis. Alcohol hepatitis. NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). Autoimmune hepatitis.

Follow up to provide more information, as I can be in better position to suggest you investigation and treatment plan.

|