Q. Can shoulder pain due to injury last more than a month?

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

During a ski trip a few months ago, I fell on my outstretched hand during a jump and injured my shoulder. I did a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan immediately after, and the radiologist said that it was not going to be a big deal. However, my shoulder is still bothering me quite a lot, so I thought it would be good to get a second opinion. I also got a computed tomography (CT) scan done yesterday. I do not have a medical history concerning my upper body.

Please help me.

#

Welcome to icliniq.

I can understand your concern.

I have carefully gone through all your magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Unfortunately, I find that there is some injury to the shoulder joint.

I do not see any fracture in the computed tomography (CT) scan. However, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan shows a bony contusion or a bone bruise at the greater tubercle of the humerus (the outer surface of the shoulder). Bone contusions can last for quite long after an injury and can bother a person. I think this may require some medication and therapy (physiotherapy and hot or cold compression).

The other finding on the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is fluid collection in the rotator interval, signifying rotator interval tear. This is a combination of ligaments that bind the arm to the shoulder. So this tear can also be quite distressing. There is also some sharp linear fluid intensity along the upper margin & anterior edge of the glenoid, which may mimic labral injury, but represent sublabral foramen & recess.

So, in summary, you have got some ligament injury and bone bruise.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you so much for helping me.

#

Thanks for getting back to us. Actually, there is not a specific severity grading for rotator interval tears. The classification only says that surgery may be required if the tear is "large enough" (which seems so on the MRI) and produces significant symptoms (as assessed by the orthopedician). So, I think your next course of action would be to consult an orthopedics or trauma surgeon and follow their advice. I wish you all the best.

|