Q. My wife has been suffering from left arm and collar bone pain. Please help.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

My wife is 32 years old. She is complaining of collar bone pain on the left side and left arm pain. Whenever there is some movement, she feels the pain. We consulted a doctor before six months. She was fine for some time, but it has started again now. Please help.

#

• Looking at the investigations done (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I feel that it is not a cardiac issue.
  • If the pain is worse with movements as you say, I presume you are talking of neck movements or the shoulder movements again, it points towards an orthopedic problem rather than a cardiological issue.
  • I will request her to be formally examined by an orthopedic surgeon to confirm the exact source of pain in either the neck or the shoulder.
  • We also need to make sure that there is no nerve entrapment in the neck in which pain radiates into the forearm and hand and is sharp and tingling in nature.
  • Either way, she needs a regular NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). I suggest the following measures and treatment. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
  1. Voveran SR 100 mg (Diclofenac) once a day after meals.
  2. Ice the area of tenderness or try hot packs or moist heat. Apply Dynapar gel (Diclofenac) locally after 45 min of heating or cold packs.
  3. Try and improve posture of neck and back. Avoid long stretches on the phone, television and laptop.
  4. If pain exceeds 7 to 8 on a maximum score of 10, then I suggest Tramadol.
  • Try the above and I am quite sure it will work. You can see a physiotherapist and try TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) or traction as dependent on the source of pain.

1. Neck - Nonradicular pain.
2. Shoulder - Tendonitis.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|