iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthopedician and Traumatologyshoulder painWhat causes left arm and collar bone pain?

My Wife has left arm and collar bone pain. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Atul Prakash

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 4, 2016
Reviewed AtMay 21, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My wife is 32 years old. She is complaining of collar bone pain on the left side and left arm pain. Whenever there is some movement, she feels the pain. We consulted a doctor before six months. She was fine for some time, but it has started again now. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Looking at the investigations done (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I feel that it is not a cardiac issue. If the pain is worse with movements as you say, I presume you are talking of neck movements or shoulder movements again, it points towards an orthopedic problem rather than a cardiological issue. I will request her to be formally examined by an orthopedic surgeon to confirm the exact source of pain in either the neck or the shoulder. We also need to make sure that there is no nerve entrapment in the neck in which pain radiates into the forearm and hand and is sharp and tingling in nature. Either way, she needs a regular NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). I suggest the following measures and treatments. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and take the treatment with consent.

Voveran SR 100 mg (Diclofenac) once a day after meals.

Ice the area of tenderness or try hot packs or moist heat. Apply Dynapar gel (Diclofenac) locally after 45 min of heating or cold packs.

Try and improve the posture of the neck and back. Avoid long stretches on the phone, television, and laptop.

If pain exceeds seven to eight on a maximum score of 10, then I suggest Tramadol.

Try the above and I am quite sure it will work. You can see a physiotherapist and try TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) or traction as dependent on the source of pain.

Differential diagnosis

1. Neck - Nonradicular pain.

2. Shoulder - Tendonitis.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Atul Prakash
Dr. Atul Prakash

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy