Q. Kindly help me to clarify that my period is normal or is it due to the side effect of I-pill.

Last month I had I-pill (within 48hours of intercourse) after 18 days of onset of my periods. I did not have any side effects like withdrawal bleeding, nausea, etc., after taking the I-pill. I got my periods on the 1st of this month. I am unsure if this is my normal period or bleeding due to the side effect of I-pill? Please help me to clarify this. If it is my regular periods, then there is no delay in it (a week before or week after than expected date). Is it normal? Is there a need to take a test or any chances of pregnancy? If yes, when to take the test?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me start by assuring you that you are not pregnant and need not worry. If you have had your periods 18 days before taking I-pill, your ovulation would have been around 13 to 15 days after that. Life of egg is only one day. So there is no chance of an egg being alive on that day of sex. I-pill or emergency contraception pill is a high dose of progesterone hormone. After ovulation, your ovary also will be producing the same hormone.

As you have taken it after the ovulation date, the thickness of the inner uterine lining would have increased further. But would not have shed. Usually, if you take it before ovulation, your bleeding will start within a few days. So you should have had your regular periods, slightly thicker or more than usual. If you had bleeding almost like regular periods, then the inner lining of the uterus has been shed. There is no chance of pregnancy if at all, to catch inside the uterus.

So do not worry, your next period will be one month from this period. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions and for your feedback.

| 

My menstrual cycle is of 28 days and sometimes 30 days. Is it still that I have taken I-pill after ovulation date? The bleeding was the same as it will be in regular periods, it lasts for three days as usual. And also how do we calculate the ovulation date? It would be helpful for me in future.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Calculating the ovulation date is simple. It always occurs exactly 14 days before period. So if you have 28 days period, ovulation was on day 14th. If 30 days cycle, ovulation was on day 16th. I would suggest keeping an account of the last 6 to 12 months cycles. If almost in the same frequency, then 14 to 16 th would be ovulation date.

Life of egg is 24 hours, so add one day more. Life of sperm is three days, so add that too, so 11th to 17th days would be unsafe. About this cycle, I-pill was not needed. It did not affect your cycle. Once you have normal bleeding, the inner lining of the uterus has gone, and embryo (even if it had formed) cannot anymore get a grip inside. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions.

|