Q. My entire foreskin is swollen and red. Is it due to the steroid cream I used?

Dr. Sandeep Golla
Published on Jun 12, 2018

I am 51 years and nondiabetic. It seems I am suffering from balanitis for the past two weeks. Earlier, I had the problem of ringworm, but then after medication of Clotrimazole ointment and oral tablet Terbinafine, it was treated. After a couple of months of that problem, I noticed two weeks back, red rash on the ring of my glans and foreskin with burning sensation.

I checked on the internet and used Clotrimazole ointment with FourDerm and Terbicip. It got subsided, but every time after a bath, it emerged. I also keep hygiene around my genitals and also washed it with warm water with salt. However, it did not get cured but remained controlled.

Two days back, I consulted a dermatologist, and he suggested to stop all that and instead apply DK Gel and take AF 150 orally, one tablet every three days after dinner. It has become redder and has covered the complete foreskin with redness and swelling.

I checked with the dermatologist, but he said it is due to the use of steroid FourDerm ointment, and that it will subside in 7 to 8 days. It burns and is too sensitive even if it touches the cloth. I am attaching a picture of my penis. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

By your complaints and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your concern is balanitis.

What your dermatologist had suggested is appropriate. You are facing side effects due to potent steroid in FourDerm (combination of Chlorhexidine, Clobetasol, Miconazole, and Neomycin).

You can continue what your dermatologist had suggested. I suggest applying DK gel (Miconazole) at bedtime and Efficort 0.127 % (Hydrocortisone) mild medicated steroid in the affected areas until redness subsides.

Try taking Crocin (Paracetamol) 500 mg, as on required to reduce pain. AF 150 mg (Fluconazole), weekly once after dinner. This will help you. Do not worry.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

DK gel, once dry, makes the foreskin to stick to the glans. The foreskin swelling was not there earlier. When will it subside?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

• I suggest trying Lulifin (Luliconazole) cream instead of DK gel. The swelling will subside soon with treatment.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full »

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »