Q. How to prevent sinus infection?

Answered by
Dr. Roy Dev Shuvendu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am writing this on behalf of my wife. She is 26 years old. The problem is that she is prone to sinusitis. She gets infected with sinusitis at least once in two months.

When she gets infected, it takes one to two weeks to recover. Her nasal passages gets blocked and she finds it difficult to breath through the nose. Also, the mucus is very thick and she tries very hard to squeeze the mucus out.

Sometimes, she applies too much pressure and finds blood stains in the mucus. She tried vaporizer and saline spray, but none of them seems to work for her. She also gets a severe headache at times due to the mucus getting blocked. She feels a pain around her eyes too.

Due to this she remains inactive during the entire period. The assumption is that most of the time, she gets infected due to exposure to dust or cold climate.

Is there a permanent solution for this problem? Is there anything that she can do to prevent the infection? Please help.



Welcome to

She may have an allergy and a superadded bacterial infection.

If she is getting recurrent infection, then get a skin prick allergy test and CT scan of the sinuses.

The CT scan may show either mucosal thickening or polyp or a deviated septum, which may block the drainage of the sinuses. If positive findings on CT scan, then she may need endoscopic sinus surgery.

If the sinuses are normal, then she will improve with antibiotic, anti-allergy tablet and steroid nasal spray.

Investigations to be done:

Skin prick allergy test and CT scan sinuses.

Treatment plan:

I suggest the following treatment for sinusitis. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Antibiotic Augmentin 1 g (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) twice a day for five days.
2. Anti-allergic tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) at night for one month.
3. Use Nasonex nasal spray (Mometasone furoate) one puff at night for one month.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can allergic reaction occur due to Tylenol 3 or Amoxicillin?

.. gone through your query and can understand your health concern. The allergic reaction can be due to Amoxicillin only, because Acetaminophen and Codeine will not cause any allergic reaction. I suggest you to stop Amoxicillin. You can use any of the...   Read full

Do you suggest surgery for DNS?

DNS (deviated nasal septum) and allergies are two different things ... For allergic rhinitis, you should start nasal spray having decongestant and steroid combination, and that will help you ......   Read full

Kindly explain nasal CT scan taken for rebound congestion in nostril.

Hi doctor, My nasal CT Scan reports say: Deviation of the nasal septum to the left side with a septal spur on the left side impinging left interior turbinate visualized ... ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.