Q. How to prevent sinus infection?

Dr. Dev Roy
Published on Jun 25, 2018

I am writing this on behalf of my wife. She is 26 years old. The problem is that she is prone to sinusitis. She gets infected with sinusitis at least once in two months.

When she gets infected, it takes one to two weeks to recover. Her nasal passages gets blocked and she finds it difficult to breath through the nose. Also, the mucus is very thick and she tries very hard to squeeze the mucus out.

Sometimes, she applies too much pressure and finds blood stains in the mucus. She tried vaporizer and saline spray, but none of them seems to work for her. She also gets a severe headache at times due to the mucus getting blocked. She feels a pain around her eyes too.

Due to this she remains inactive during the entire period. The assumption is that most of the time, she gets infected due to exposure to dust or cold climate.

Is there a permanent solution for this problem? Is there anything that she can do to prevent the infection? Please help.

Dr. Dev Roy

Otolaryngology (E.N.T) Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Speech Therapist
#

She may have an allergy and a superadded bacterial infection.

If she is getting recurrent infection, then get a skin prick allergy test and CT scan of the sinuses.

The CT scan may show either mucosal thickening or polyp or a deviated septum, which may block the drainage of the sinuses. If positive findings on CT scan, then she may need endoscopic sinus surgery.

If the sinuses are normal, then she will improve with antibiotic, anti-allergy tablet and steroid nasal spray.

Skin prick allergy test and CT scan sinuses.

I suggest the following treatment for sinusitis. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Antibiotic Augmentin 1 g (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) twice a day for five days.
2. Anti-allergic tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) at night for one month.
3. Use Nasonex nasal spray (Mometasone furoate) one puff at night for one month.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »