Q. How to prevent sinus infection?

Dr. Dev Roy

I am writing this on behalf of my wife. She is 26 years old. The problem is that she is prone to sinusitis. She gets infected with sinusitis at least once in two months.

When she gets infected, it takes one to two weeks to recover. Her nasal passages gets blocked and she finds it difficult to breath through the nose. Also, the mucus is very thick and she tries very hard to squeeze the mucus out.

Sometimes, she applies too much pressure and finds blood stains in the mucus. She tried vaporizer and saline spray, but none of them seems to work for her. She also gets a severe headache at times due to the mucus getting blocked. She feels a pain around her eyes too.

Due to this she remains inactive during the entire period. The assumption is that most of the time, she gets infected due to exposure to dust or cold climate.

Is there a permanent solution for this problem? Is there anything that she can do to prevent the infection? Please help.

#

She may have an allergy and a superadded bacterial infection.

If she is getting recurrent infection, then get a skin prick allergy test and CT scan of the sinuses.

The CT scan may show either mucosal thickening or polyp or a deviated septum, which may block the drainage of the sinuses. If positive findings on CT scan, then she may need endoscopic sinus surgery.

If the sinuses are normal, then she will improve with antibiotic, anti-allergy tablet and steroid nasal spray.

Skin prick allergy test and CT scan sinuses.

I suggest the following treatment for sinusitis. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Antibiotic Augmentin 1 g (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) twice a day for five days.
2. Anti-allergic tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) at night for one month.
3. Use Nasonex nasal spray (Mometasone furoate) one puff at night for one month.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|