Q. The skin on the back of my hands is changing color. Why?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

The skin on the back of my hands is changing color. My skin is dark in some places and lighter in others. My knuckles look darker like they have a black patch. What is this? Currently I am on Alyacen 1/35. I was taking Ferrous sulfate two pills per day.

#

If possible forward a few pictures of the affected area to guide you through precisely.

I have attached the pictures of both hands.

#

I saw your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see dry skin with pigmentation prominent on knuckles. Your concern may be pseudo-acanthosis nigricans. Check your body weight, if you are overweight try to reduce it. If you are using any medication like OCPs (oral contraceptive pills) or anti-asthma medication or any oral steroids they may be a trigger.

Pseudo-acanthosis may run in families as well. Start using Averi moisturizer twice daily after bath and start Linolenic acid containing capsules twice daily after food. Check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels and report me. Plan for Q-switch laser sessions after having enough reviews about the technology.

|