Q. The skin on the back of my hands is changing color. Why?

Dr. Sandeep Golla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 14, 2019

The skin on the back of my hands is changing color. My skin is dark in some places and lighter in others. My knuckles look darker like they have a black patch. What is this? Currently I am on Alyacen 1/35. I was taking Ferrous sulfate two pills per day.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

If possible forward a few pictures of the affected area to guide you through precisely.

I have attached the pictures of both hands.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see dry skin with pigmentation prominent on knuckles. Your concern may be pseudo-acanthosis nigricans. Check your body weight, if you are overweight try to reduce it. If you are using any medication like OCPs (oral contraceptive pills) or anti-asthma medication or any oral steroids they may be a trigger.

Pseudo-acanthosis may run in families as well. Start using Averi moisturizer twice daily after bath and start Linolenic acid containing capsules twice daily after food. Check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels and report me. Plan for Q-switch laser sessions after having enough reviews about the technology.

Are Ovral pills reliable to avoid pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, Can we rely 100 % on Ovral pills to avoid pregnancy? What are the side effects? Is there any other option with no side effects to avoid pregnancy for two years?  Read Full >>

Dr. Monica Mathur

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ovral pills (combination of Ethinyl estradiol and Levonorgestrel) are 100 % reliable if taken regularly. They have very few side effects and can be taken same time every day. If you miss one tablet it is okay, but if missed twice, can lead to failure in that particu...  Read Full