Q. What are the recommended tests for skin rashes due to allergy?

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan N
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 16, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have recently relocated to my workplace. Due to relocation, I had to consume outside food for two months. I had started growing skin rashes. It was diagnosed as an allergy. Two medicines have been recommended by the doctor. Allegra 180 mg and Azithromycin 500 mg. I ate drumsticks today and I got the allergies back. Let me know please what all food should not be consumed? What foods should I consume for regaining proper health that would not be allergic? Also, whenever I keep my body heated, the itching fades away, but when it is becoming cold the allergy is back. Are there any tests to be carried out?


Hello doctor,

Certain cities are known for allergies. Some people who are genetically probing for allergy atopy and hypersensitivity start showing symptoms in certain cities.

It is difficult to say what foods to avoid. But I can give you some ideas about it. There could be a food allergy or aeroallergy. Your place has a lot of ethnic trees and pollen-related allergy. The tests you must do are serum IgE (immunoglobulin E). If the levels are elevated that shows atopy and thereafter you will have to do a skin prick testing or blood immunoCAP testing. The latter two tests will clearly show us which substances can cause allergy in you. If you desire you may get serum IgE and one of the tests (either skin prick or blood immunoCAP) done together.

Meanwhile, keep away from plants and dust. Avoid smoke. Avoid air-conditioner at home or workplace. Try to keep the temperature at an optimum level and not very cold. Drink plenty of water.

Take a diary and note down whenever you eat or drink something different and if you get rashes or allergy. Keep your bed and beddings very clean. Change sheets frequently. Dust the sheets in the balcony or outside the house. Vacuum clean all crevices and corners in the house. Wash curtains frequently. Beddings, curtains, etc., be washed in warm water, soak them for two hours in warm water, about 60 degrees. These are known to harbor house dust mites.

Please let us know the symptoms of your allergy-like nasal or skin. Also, let us know if the tablets recommended relieve you of the lesions. If possible take a few pictures of the skin rashes and send to me.

Thank you doctor,

My face skin is highly infected. I have itch every time. I avoid scratching, but sometimes it is unbearable. Also, the body parts like hand and especially palms and feet. I never had an allergy in my life before. But my mother and brother has. The rashes are not yet visible on the skin. So photographs will not be effective.

Will washing cloths with Dettol be effective? Air conditioner at work place is unavoidable. Mostly skin is affected. As it is an open environment and there is no way to avoid air conditioner. And yes, that tablets have helped me.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You could try Dettol. Although I think washing in the warm water of about 50-60 degrees celsius would be ideal. Dust these stuff frequently.

Whether you get the lesions and they are visible or not, please take pictures and send me that is important. You may mix half a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in the water and take bath with that, it will help to relieve the itch.

Do not stay right under the air conditioner. Apply good moisturizers over the body.

Thank you doctor,

No, it is not visible. How should I prevent my face? Suggest some names of moisturizers. Will it be effective in such conditions?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Moisturizers are not effective against allergy. Moisturizers will prevent dryness which can aggravate allergy and skin diseases. Jergens moisturizer for the body is good. You may try their lotion or thick varieties as per your comfort.

For face, Lotus moisturizer is good. It protects against the sun also. Please get the allergy tests done as they are confirmatory. After that, we can give you specific advice. Neutrogena face moisturizer is also very effective.

Thank you doctor,

I will get the tests done and get back to you.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

I had an allergy blood test and my specific allergy numbers range from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got results back from an allergy blood test. My specific allergy numbers ranged from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. My total IgE is 241 IU/mL. Does this total number indicate anything? Is the number high or low?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.