Q. How much sleep do teenagers really need?

Dr. Lokesh

How many hours of sleep do I need as a 17-year-old? Are six hours of sleep enough? What happens if I sleep eight hours per day? Does my brain become more active or dull?

Do you have a question on Sleep Hygeine or Sleep Deprivation?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Lokesh

MBBS., D.ORTHO., DNB ORTHO., FELLOWSHIP-JOINT REPLACEMENT SURGERY., MNAMS
Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery

I feel that one should not sleep less than seven hours daily. This is the minimum to maintain a healthy mind and body. And also, you will not feel sleepy in the day.

The brain becomes more alert if you sleep about eight hours a day, but it also depends upon the work and activity that you do.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I am experiencing headaches due to light sensitivity. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. For the past three months, I have been experiencing daily headaches, intermittent dizziness and vertigo, tinnitus and light sensitivity. I have received a diagnosis of a vestibular migraine and my neurologist reports down beating nystagmus while using Frenzel go...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your symptoms are suggestive of a migraine only. The new symptom that you have noticed also is in favor of a migraine headache. In such case, I would recommend you not to worry as all your investigations are within normal limits. Migraine headac...  Read Full »

Can I take Practin and Decdan to gain weight?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches and I weigh 41 kg. I need to put on weight. I have fast metabolism. Can I take Practin and Decdan tablets? It is suggested by one of my friend. Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tablets Practin (Cyproheptadine hydrochloride) and Decdan (Dexamethasone) would just add water retention in the body and not increase the muscle mass. So once you leave it, your body shall return back to low weight itself. So, Practin and Decdan are not recommende...  Read Full »

Please help me quit maladaptive daydreaming.
Query: Hello doctor,I am going through maladaptive daydreaming. I have been dealing with this for long. I tried several ways to quit but I cannot. I do not take any medication right now. Please help me quit this.  Read Full »
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no medication for daydreaming. Learn to occupy yourself.   Sleep well. Write down your thoughts. Note down how many episodes you have daily so you will be aware if there is a decrease in your episode. Read good books. Use your daydreaming ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now