Q. How to manage sleep disturbances in children?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My daughter is 5 years old, and she would not sleep by herself. She talks about it all day, like I do not want to sleep, and I do not want to sleep by myself. This is the first thing she tells me when I pick her up from school. At night she falls asleep with no issues, but she wakes up in the middle of the night, comes into our room without making any noise or say anything, and stares at us while we are asleep. I put her back in bed, and she will come back at least five times a night. She is just standing in the dark in the middle of the room, watching us sleep. Is this something I should be worried about?

#

You need to be practical in dealing with this. You should not scold her, and after putting her to sleep, you need to close your room. After your bedtime routine is done, you may go back to her room and sleep with her. Whenever you need, you can get up and go back to your room. She needs a reassuring feeling that you are sleeping with her and you can find your own time for personal dealings without her crying eyes. Slowly she will sleep alone. Good luck.

|