Q. I struggle to stay awake during the day. Please help me.

Dr. Rahul Kackar

I am a 29-year-old female who works the night shift. I have trouble with excessive sleepiness during the daytime and recurring sleep loss at night. I cannot sleep during the day, and I struggle to concentrate and to be alert. I also have trouble remembering things. My mood often changes from irritable to not being able to cope with problems. I have very little interest in socializing when not at work, with family, or friends.

#

I can understand your concern. Can you change your work shift?

No, it is the only shift I can work because of my availability.

#

I suggest taking St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) 500 mg twice daily for two weeks and holy basil green tea once or twice daily. Practice Yoga Nidra or deep relaxation sleep in the morning after a warm water bath. Avoid all distractions when you go to sleep in the morning. Theanine 200 mg (γ-L-Glutamylethylamid) twice daily can also be tried if above said things do not work. Take some days and either massage yourself or go for body massage. Take some multivitamin supplements. Look for an alternate job. What I have suggested will take care of the wear and tear of the body, but you need to remove the cause.

|