Q. What are the ways to manage snoring?

I am suffering from snoring since last five years. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Snoring can be a serious concern to the sufferer as well as the spouse or partner due to the disturbance. It causes a lot of agony and affects one's mental peace. Snoring is due to some obstruction in the upper pathways of breathing, the upper respiratory tract. The levels can be:

1. Nose : nasal polyp, deviated nasal septum.

2. Nasopharynx : nasopharyngeal growth, cyst, mass.

3. Oropharynx : thick tongue, tonsillar enlargement, thick palate.

4. Lower down : lingual tonsils.

The mode of treatment for snoring depends on the level of obstruction. Also, snoring without obstructive sleep apnea is a harmless condition except for the disturbance it causes. Obstructive sleep apnea on the other hand causes changes in the circulatory system and causes increased effort by the heart to pump blood. It can result in hypertension and can be aggravated by lifestyle diseases also.

It is important to find out if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. We need more details as to your quality of sleep, disturbances, lifestyle, occupation, body weight, habits, etc., to arrive at a more decisive diagnosis and give you the right advice. Mode of treatment include medical, surgical measures. A machine called C-pap is very effective to remove the obstruction. Various lifestyle modifications and dietary changes are also necessary in the management of snoring.

| 

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

When Should Tonsils Be Removed in Adults?

Article Overview: Tonsils are removed in cases of sleep apnea or recurrent episodes of tonsillitis. Learn about the indications, best methods, and complications of tonsillectomy. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Tonsillectomy is one of the most popular operations in the otorhinolaryngology field. The most frequently asked questions about tonsillectomy are: When is tonsillectomy indicated? Does tonsillectomy affect our immunity? What is the best method for tonsillectomy? What are tonsillectomy complications...  Read Article

Is there a solution for heavy snoring?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from a heavy snoring issue. With this issue, I am not able to enjoy with my friends when going on trips and even when someone visits our apartment. Is there a solution? My snoring is very severe.  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now