Q. What are the ways to manage snoring?

I am suffering from snoring since last five years. Please help.

#

Snoring can be a serious concern to the sufferer as well as the spouse or partner due to the disturbance. It causes a lot of agony and affects one's mental peace. Snoring is due to some obstruction in the upper pathways of breathing, the upper respiratory tract. The levels can be:

1. Nose : nasal polyp, deviated nasal septum.

2. Nasopharynx : nasopharyngeal growth, cyst, mass.

3. Oropharynx : thick tongue, tonsillar enlargement, thick palate.

4. Lower down : lingual tonsils.

The mode of treatment for snoring depends on the level of obstruction. Also, snoring without obstructive sleep apnea is a harmless condition except for the disturbance it causes. Obstructive sleep apnea on the other hand causes changes in the circulatory system and causes increased effort by the heart to pump blood. It can result in hypertension and can be aggravated by lifestyle diseases also.

It is important to find out if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. We need more details as to your quality of sleep, disturbances, lifestyle, occupation, body weight, habits, etc., to arrive at a more decisive diagnosis and give you the right advice. Mode of treatment include medical, surgical measures. A machine called C-pap is very effective to remove the obstruction. Various lifestyle modifications and dietary changes are also necessary in the management of snoring.

|