Q. How to treat spitting in 3 months old baby?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My baby is 3 months old and she is formula fed - Nan Pro 1. Her birth weight was 2.6 kg, which dropped down to 2.2 kg after 15 days of her birth. Her present weight is 4.6 kg, length is 56.5 cm and head circumference is 38.5 cm. She spits up around 6 to 7 times daily even after burping and keeping her in upright position for at least 20 minutes after each feed. She had an abdominal scan and the report was normal. She is too skinny. I am giving her Rantac 1.5 mL twice a day, Vitazyme drops once a day and Junior Lanzol 1/3 a day. I am extremely worried about her weight. Please advice.

#

• You would have to look at a growth chart to look at your child growth.
  • Her birth weight was at 2nd percentile and grown to 5-10 percentile at 3 months. This tells although she is still on lower side but there has been improvement in her weight on graph. Same is with her height and gaining properly.
  • Spitting post burping is common and usually associated with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Since she is already on Rantac (Ranitidine), there is nothing much to do.
  • If she is losing weight or spitting to much feed, then her feeds could be thickened by adding rice cereals to her milk (1 spoon to 4 oz milk). This will keep her feeds down and prevent excessive spitting.
  • Keeping her upright for 15-20 minutes is the best thing to do post feeding.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for your answer. Should I start with Cerelac rice as she is just 3 months old? Or should I give her oats? So, that she may gain weight and also reduce her spits.

#

• If she has lots of spitting, to thicken feeds you can add rice cereals.
  • Add 1 spoon to 4 ounce. See it is not too thick, blocking nipple and also not settled at bottom of the bottle.
  • Also check the size of the nipple you are using. She might be sucking air with feed if her nipple size is not correct and this would also lead to excessive spitting.

|