Q. How to treat spongiotic dermatitis?

Published on Apr 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have been dealing with spongiotic dermatitis for 17 months now, and I am at my wit's end. I will provide you with as many details as possible so that maybe you could provide some answers on the cause and cure. For 15 years, I have lived in a very dry region, so I have commonly had dry skin, but that is to be expected here. 17 months ago, I returned from a sailing trip to a case of red itchy bumps. Multiple doctors and dermatologists ran tests and determined it was spongiotic dermatitis. I have tried multiple topical steroids as well as oral steroids, not to mention countless over-the-counter treatments, but I had no relief. However, a 21 days prescription of oral steroids has come the closest to getting rid of it but never has completely cured it and it comes back right away. This has been used a couple of times, but it comes right back.

Just over a month ago, I went to a naturopathic doctor to see if they could provide answers. I had done an IgE test, but nothing was found. An IgG test showed that my body was reacting to dairy, almonds, and gluten. I went on a three-week elimination diet, along with a multitude of supplements which seemed to help, but it never went away. That time frame coincided with a warmer climate, but at the beginning of a snowstorm, there was a flare up. I am still trying this method, but it is difficult to live a normal life without any of these foods, but since the constant itching continues, I am not really sure if the diet or weather was responsible for the temporary relief. What might be the cause of dermatitis and how to get rid of it? Thank you for any insight.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your concern.

There are two causes of dermatitis, one is exogenous and another one is endogenous.

You have tried to rule out maximum exogenous causes, but as you did not get any relief, there might be some endogenous factor causing you the trouble.

Some examples of endogenous dermatitis are atopic dermatitis, autosensitization dermatitis, dermatitis herpetiformis, prurigo nodularis, seborrhoeic dermatitis, etc.

It can be confirmed by skin biopsy, spongiotic dermatitis is a broader term, you must get repeat biopsy and rule out the cause and get treatment accordingly.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Role of Diet in Dermatology

Article Overview: There are a few diseases in which diet has a definitive role. This article stresses upon the importance of diet in dermatology. Read Article

Dr. Anagha Kumar
Dietician

The word diet is derived from the Greek word "dieta" which means 'way of life'. The role of diet in the management of certain dermatological diseases is proven, and in some diseases, it probably plays a role. Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Gluten-free diet, i.e., wheat, rye, barley has to be followed...  Read Article

Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with prominent eosinophil infiltration in the lamina propria with a mild lymphomonocytic cell. Urothelium shows atrophic change.  Read Full »

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »