Q. Can spotting occur in initial stage of pregnancy?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I am 34 years old. I always have regular periods with a 28 day cycle. I have pregnancy like symptoms for the past two weeks. I feel nausea, cramps, strong smell, etc. Actually, my period was ahead of due. For the past 15 days I have very light watery bleeding started and is still on. It is not heavy at all and not like my usual periods. Is this pregnancy or any other issue?

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

Based on your symptoms, pregnancy is a possibility.

But, as you said your periods are due now you can wait for another four days. If you did not get periods, then do a urine strip test for pregnancy.

At this time no one can confirm pregnancy, even if you go for a hospital visit and even with ultrasound.

The urine strip test will tell us the answer and we need to wait for another four to five days.

Once the urine strip test is done, then we can decide further course based on its report.

For now kindly avoid unnecessary medications; take proper diet and rest.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

But, I do have some light bleeding since the past two days. I do not know whether this is my period or something else. I have never had periods this way before.

#

I had gone through your query.

• You have little amount of bleeding, which is spotting. Spotting combined with the above said symptoms may suggest pregnancy.
  • So, do a urine pregnancy test today. If it is positive, then consult a gynecologist today. If it is negative, then wait for another four days and repeat urine pregnancy test.
  • This little amount of blood red to brown in color is called spotting. Spotting can occur in 20% of pregnancy during the initial days and most women can go for full normal delivery.
  • Kindly consult a gynecologist if urine pregnancy test is positive.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|