Q. Can spotting occur in initial stage of pregnancy?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Jun 11, 2016

I am 34 years old. I always have regular periods with a 28 day cycle. I have pregnancy like symptoms for the past two weeks. I feel nausea, cramps, strong smell, etc. Actually, my period was ahead of due. For the past 15 days I have very light watery bleeding started and is still on. It is not heavy at all and not like my usual periods. Is this pregnancy or any other issue?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

Based on your symptoms, pregnancy is a possibility.

But, as you said your periods are due now you can wait for another four days. If you did not get periods, then do a urine strip test for pregnancy.

At this time no one can confirm pregnancy, even if you go for a hospital visit and even with ultrasound.

The urine strip test will tell us the answer and we need to wait for another four to five days.

Once the urine strip test is done, then we can decide further course based on its report.

For now kindly avoid unnecessary medications; take proper diet and rest.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

But, I do have some light bleeding since the past two days. I do not know whether this is my period or something else. I have never had periods this way before.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through your query.

• You have little amount of bleeding, which is spotting. Spotting combined with the above said symptoms may suggest pregnancy.
  • So, do a urine pregnancy test today. If it is positive, then consult a gynecologist today. If it is negative, then wait for another four days and repeat urine pregnancy test.
  • This little amount of blood red to brown in color is called spotting. Spotting can occur in 20% of pregnancy during the initial days and most women can go for full normal delivery.
  • Kindly consult a gynecologist if urine pregnancy test is positive.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »

I have missed periods. Is this pregnancy or a disease amenorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex at 11 PM but took I-pill the next morning at 9 AM. I have missed periods. I have heard about the disease amenorrhea. Is this pregnancy or a disease amenorrhea? If amenorrhea happens, can it be easily cured? How she I have regular periods? Is it a matter of fear or a c...  Read Full »