Q. How to prevent stroke?

Published on May 20, 2017

Kindly give some tips on the ways to prevent stroke.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Here are some tips to prevent stroke.

• Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five to seven days a week in nearly all peoples. Regular exercises help in reducing weight, decrease lipid level and blood pressure and also assist in controlling blood sugars.
  • Healthy diet like avoiding fat, oil and a high-calorie diet. Individuals should consume five or more servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
  • Individuals should replace refined grains like white bread, rice with whole grains, whole bread, and brown rice. Should avoid red meat and instead have sea foods, eggs, beans, nuts and seeds as a source of protein.
  • It is very important to prevent and treat hypertension. Because high BP is an important cause of hemorrhagic stroke. Blood pressure should be regularly monitored, and medicine should not default.
  • The recommended dietary sodium intake for the general population is less than 2.3 g of sodium or 6 g of sodium chloride. Low sodium intake is associated with decreased risk of hypertension and stroke.
  • Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol. Smoking puts one at a high risk of stroke and heart diseases.
  • One should not get abdominal fat deposition or obesity. Yoga should be included in daily routine and has multiple health benefits.
  • Prevent diabetes with a healthy lifestyle, early diagnosis, and regular treatment.
  • The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends testing at three-year intervals for diabetes in all adults with BMI more than or equal to 25 kg/m2 and one or more additional risk factors for diabetes family history, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, etc., and in individuals without risk factors, testing begin at age 45 years.
  • The individual with risk for stroke like family history and obesity should be screened for lipid abnormalities and started on lifestyle modification and drugs.
  • Aspirin especially in those with moderate to high risk of stroke, which will be assessed by the doctor and prior history of stroke.
  • Patients with irregular heartbeats should be evaluated with ECG and other investigation urgently and started on blood thinners to prevent clot formation and stroke. So, if someone has it, then they should get themselves evaluated.
  • Polypills consisting of combinations of drugs like Aspirin, statins and blood pressure medication as advised by the doctor should be consumed on a regular basis.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...  Read Full

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full >>

Dr. Omnath Alvoor
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the data your weight is too high for an individual. You need to rebuild your lifestyle by giving time to exercise and yogic techniques. Especially fast rounds of suryanamaskara will help you with your problems. Start slowly and day by day increase the speed of prac...  Read Full

What could be the reason for right-sided anterior pelvic tilt?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from an anterior pelvic tilt in the right. He is a bodybuilder and currently not able to do workouts since he has pain and numbness in both upper and lower sides of the body in the right region. He also has muscle imbalance because of that. We have consulted se...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common for this anterior pelvic tilt position to drastically affect your posture even up into the upper back and neck. The tight muscles are hip flexors, tensor fascia lata, and quadriceps and weak muscles are the gluteal groups and hamstring, abdominals. Str...  Read Full