Q. May I know the reason for slurred speech in a paralyzed person?

Dr. Talal Hussain
Published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My dad has been paralyzed for three years now. He was fine, but suddenly his speech is not clear. We cannot understand what he says. May I know why this has happened?

Dr. Talal Hussain

Internal Medicine
#

• Paralyzed patients have a tendency to get stroke when they have already had it.
  • This could be a recurrence of stroke and the patient should be taken to a hospital as a CT scan without contrast needs to be done to know if he has again developed a stroke.
  • If he has had a stroke again, then the type of stroke also will be identified by the CT scan. The patient will also be evaluated for the risk factors of stroke like high blood pressure and have to be managed accordingly.
  • If the patient is not completely oriented, then it could be other causes also like some severe infection. It can also be due to fever or severe dehydration as patients are not able to convey their needs properly.
  • So, I would advise to visit the hospital and get a few investigations done.

1. Previous stroke.
2. Modifiable risk factors like hypertension, hypercoagulable status.
3. Infection due to UTI (urinary tract infection) or bed sores.

Blood complete profile, CT scan without contrast, renal function test, liver function test and serum electrolytes.

1. CVA (cerebrovascular accident).
2. Sepsis.
3. Hypovolemia.

Control modifiable risk factors. The patient is too late for thrombolytic agents. Prevention of re-stroke.

Control hypertension and antiplatelet therapy,

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

How to manage unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm?

Query: Hi doctor, What health implications have been observed with a unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm? I have had a plication performed, but it failed and is back to the original issue. Currently, I am suffering from shortness of breath, chest pain with dizzy spells and increased heart rate. I am on P...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is most commonly seen on the left side. The diaphragm is the most important muscle of ventilation. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is usually well tolerated if there is no underlying lung or rib cage pathology. But, if severe, then it...  Read Full

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding¬†is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An acute hemorrhage is for a short duration but very dangerous. The reason being a sudden build up of pressure in the brain. In case of chronic bleeding it is not so dangerous but it will remain for a long period. In this case there is a gradual increase of pressure in ...  Read Full