Q. May I know the reason for slurred speech in a paralyzed person?

Dr. Talal Hussain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My dad has been paralyzed for three years now. He was fine, but suddenly his speech is not clear. We cannot understand what he says. May I know why this has happened?

#

• Paralyzed patients have a tendency to get stroke when they have already had it.
  • This could be a recurrence of stroke and the patient should be taken to a hospital as a CT scan without contrast needs to be done to know if he has again developed a stroke.
  • If he has had a stroke again, then the type of stroke also will be identified by the CT scan. The patient will also be evaluated for the risk factors of stroke like high blood pressure and have to be managed accordingly.
  • If the patient is not completely oriented, then it could be other causes also like some severe infection. It can also be due to fever or severe dehydration as patients are not able to convey their needs properly.
  • So, I would advise to visit the hospital and get a few investigations done.

1. Previous stroke.
2. Modifiable risk factors like hypertension, hypercoagulable status.
3. Infection due to UTI (urinary tract infection) or bed sores.

Blood complete profile, CT scan without contrast, renal function test, liver function test and serum electrolytes.

1. CVA (cerebrovascular accident).
2. Sepsis.
3. Hypovolemia.

Control modifiable risk factors. The patient is too late for thrombolytic agents. Prevention of re-stroke.

Control hypertension and antiplatelet therapy,

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|