Q. I have jaw and ear pain after wisdom tooth removal. Is it normal?

Dr. Divya Banu M

I had a complicated wisdom tooth removal one week ago. My gum was cut and I have stitches (dissolvable). I still have jaw pain, pain in what I believe are the glands in my neck, some ear pain and the extraction site is still sore. Is this normal?

#

I have gone through your query.

Mild discomfort and reduced mouth opening along with swelling are normal for 3 to 5 days after extraction. Since you are telling about the glands (lymph nodes), you will need antibiotics too. Follow the instructions given by your dentist. Do lukewarm salt water gargling. If mouth opening is reduced, do the mouth opening exercises taught by your dentist.

You may take Mox-CV (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) for five days twice daily after food (if you have not taken any antibiotics prior). If you are allergic to this medicine, do not take it. You can mention it here or to your dentist and the medicine can be changed. If you have severe pain, bad taste or odor or fever too, then better go visit your dentist as it can be a dry socket too.

| 
1 out of 1 likes