Q. I have jaw and ear pain after wisdom tooth removal. Is it normal?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Sep 07, 2019

I had a complicated wisdom tooth removal one week ago. My gum was cut and I have stitches (dissolvable). I still have jaw pain, pain in what I believe are the glands in my neck, some ear pain and the extraction site is still sore. Is this normal?

#

I have gone through your query.

Mild discomfort and reduced mouth opening along with swelling are normal for 3 to 5 days after extraction. Since you are telling about the glands (lymph nodes), you will need antibiotics too. Follow the instructions given by your dentist. Do lukewarm salt water gargling. If mouth opening is reduced, do the mouth opening exercises taught by your dentist.

You may take Mox-CV (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) for five days twice daily after food (if you have not taken any antibiotics prior). If you are allergic to this medicine, do not take it. You can mention it here or to your dentist and the medicine can be changed. If you have severe pain, bad taste or odor or fever too, then better go visit your dentist as it can be a dry socket too.

My tongue and lip are numb nine hours after a tooth was removed. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,I just removed one wisdom tooth on my right side. It has been nine hours and the half of my tongue, lip and teeth are numb. What should I do? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

I have an upper jaw pain and cannot close my mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my left front tooth, all the way to the back of my teeth on top hurt. I cannot close my mouth and it feels like the pain is going up into the bone under my nose. What could that possibly be?  Read Full »