Q. What precautions should I take if I tested positive for swine flu?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Published on Sep 30, 2017

I have a very severe cold with a runny nose and a lot of cough and sneezing. I am taking Amoxicillin with Ibugesic plus for fever. Now, can I take any over-the-counter nasal spray which can give instant relief?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• The best home remedy will be to take a steam inhalation four to five times a day.
  • Regarding the nasal spray, taking Nasivion nasal spray (Oxymetazoline), two sprays in each nostril, twice a day for three days might provide some relief.
  • If your symptoms persist consult a specialist.

Get well soon.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I just tested positive for swine flu. What should I do now? Should I stop taking the antibiotic? Secondly, what about Ibugesic plus? Also, are there any precautions that I will need to take?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• Yes. You can stop the antibiotics if it is confirmed as swine flu.
  • Visit a local government hospital as they may start you on an antivirus Tamiflu (Oseltamivir).
  • Please keep yourself well hydrated.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I went to the hospital and was prescribed Tamiflu and Dolo 650. Can I take Ibugesic plus instead of Dolo 650? Is it safe to have Ibugesic plus in swine flu?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• Yes. You can either have Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) or Ibugesic plus (a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol), after food.
  • Please wear a mask so that your infection does not spread to others in the family.

Take care.

Please tell me how I will know that my swine flu is alright. Will it be negative when I take the test? For how long would it be contagious for others?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• I would advise you not to panic. Your symptoms may last for the next three to five days, but you may feel a weakness for the next two weeks. Therefore, it is important to keep yourself hydrated and take small but frequent meals.
  • Your infection will be contagious to others for the next three to five days.

Stay relaxed.

What about diet restrictions? Do I have to eat only vegetables or can I eat chicken and fish as well? Secondly, when can I expect my test to be negative again?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• You can eat any food that you normally eat.
  • You do not have to repeat the test again.

Hope you are doing well.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am feeling better than yesterday. The sneezing and coughing are better too. But, I am feeling dizzy.

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

It is good to know that you are improving.

• Regarding your symptoms, just continue to drink more water.

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full >>

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This dose is really too high. You should not take medicines like this without a proper prescription from your doctor. You may have an acute liver failure. Stop them right now and take a high-carbohydrate diet for the next five to seven days. ...  Read Full

I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been getting bouts of confusion, dizziness (when looking up and sometimes when getting up), headaches, pulses, and pressure in my head and what I can only explain as brain fog (during these episodes, I find that my problem solving and my cognitive function is diminished). The epi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to intracranial hypertension or any of the other disorders. An inner ear disorder, vertigo, or epilepsy may lead to such clinical situation. For this reason, I re...  Read Full

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear this. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI report shows a pressure on the nerves in the cervical spine (neck). These nerves eventually go to your upper limbs. Hence the pain and weakness in your a...  Read Full