Q. What precautions should I take if I tested positive for swine flu?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

I have a very severe cold with a runny nose and a lot of cough and sneezing. I am taking Amoxicillin with Ibugesic plus for fever. Now, can I take any over-the-counter nasal spray which can give instant relief?

#

• The best home remedy will be to take a steam inhalation four to five times a day.
  • Regarding the nasal spray, taking Nasivion nasal spray (Oxymetazoline), two sprays in each nostril, twice a day for three days might provide some relief.
  • If your symptoms persist consult a specialist.

Get well soon.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I just tested positive for swine flu. What should I do now? Should I stop taking the antibiotic? Secondly, what about Ibugesic plus? Also, are there any precautions that I will need to take?

#

• Yes. You can stop the antibiotics if it is confirmed as swine flu.
  • Visit a local government hospital as they may start you on an antivirus Tamiflu (Oseltamivir).
  • Please keep yourself well hydrated.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I went to the hospital and was prescribed Tamiflu and Dolo 650. Can I take Ibugesic plus instead of Dolo 650? Is it safe to have Ibugesic plus in swine flu?

#

• Yes. You can either have Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) or Ibugesic plus (a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol), after food.
  • Please wear a mask so that your infection does not spread to others in the family.

Take care.

Please tell me how I will know that my swine flu is alright. Will it be negative when I take the test? For how long would it be contagious for others?

#

• I would advise you not to panic. Your symptoms may last for the next three to five days, but you may feel a weakness for the next two weeks. Therefore, it is important to keep yourself hydrated and take small but frequent meals.
  • Your infection will be contagious to others for the next three to five days.

Stay relaxed.

What about diet restrictions? Do I have to eat only vegetables or can I eat chicken and fish as well? Secondly, when can I expect my test to be negative again?

#

• You can eat any food that you normally eat.
  • You do not have to repeat the test again.

Hope you are doing well.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am feeling better than yesterday. The sneezing and coughing are better too. But, I am feeling dizzy.

#

It is good to know that you are improving.

• Regarding your symptoms, just continue to drink more water.

|