Q. I have a swelling in my ankles. Is this because of heart failure?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Feb 19, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 20, 2018

Since yesterday, I have been so tired, and I have a swelling in my ankles. It looks like a mild swelling, but I am scared. I have attached pictures of the swelling. Is this starting edema because of heart failure? I had some cardiac enlargement on MRI, but I had normal ejection fractions a year ago. What do I do now?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have seen and reviewed the images which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have mild edema around your ankle. In the absence of any respiratory symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, or other cardiac symptoms such as chest pain, it is not related to any cardiac issues. It could be due to other factors such as slight renal parameter derangement, or wearing very tight socks.

I will advise you to get a CBC (Complete Blood Count), RFT (Renal Function Test) and LFT (Liver Function Test) done. If these tests are normal, you can go ahead and get an ECG done. But as of now, there is no need to worry about heart failure.

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Krishna Somani
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Only the CBC (complete blood count) and HbA1c reports are available. Please send all reports that are relevant to your complaint. Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist  Read Full

Causes and Management for Heart Failure

Article Overview: This article describes heart failure, a condition that is common. It explains why and how it happens and also how doctors manage it. Read Article

Every organ of our body needs energy to work. This energy is provided by the food we eat and the oxygen we inhale. Food and oxygen are carried to every organ through a medium that is called blood. Circulation of Blood Heart is an organ that pumps blood to the whole of our body, including brain, lu...  Read Article

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could understand your crisis. Usually in the absence of venom in the blood, the following are the possibilities: The snake bite site may get sepsis (infected with bacteria) and that spreads to the whole leg. Trauma to nearby objects during the act of escaping...  Read Full