Q. My swollen right inner cheek interferes talking and eating. Please help.

Dr. Geethanjali Sadasivam

My right inner cheek is swollen. This happened for the second time this month. The swollen cheek falls between the teeth while talking or eating. I am having pain too.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

The swelling should be the reason for any tooth infection associated with the right lower back tooth region in the least case. If that is ruled out during a dental consultation, then it could be the infection in the salivary gland. I say this because you have mentioned a history of swelling interferes with eating and talking.

Usually, salivary gland swellings affect both the sides of the cheek region and also below the tongue with or without pain. You also got to check if you have dry mouth or dry eyes because salivary gland infections go in hand with these two symptoms in most of the cases.

Mouth ulcer ointments might not work for this kind of pain. Hence, I request you to visit your nearby dentist to get a complete oral check up done. During your consultation, if tooth infection is ruled out then the suspicion would be over the salivary glands.

Also, if you got any fever history please get that to the dentist's attention. Meanwhile, for pain relief please take tablet Flexon (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) thrice daily after meals for two days. If you got any gastric irritation with this tablet please take capsule Omez D (Omeprazole delayed-release) 20 mg half an hour before food along with the after food tablet.

Bacterial or viral infections.

Blood check to rule out viral origin. Ultrasound or Computed tomography (CT) scan to visualize salivary gland stones.

|