Q. Though I am using electronic toothbrush, gum redness is present. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I went to the dentist before two months. He said that I had good teeth health and gum health. The only thing is for my front teeth on the top and bottom I developed a frayed appearance around the gumline. He said this was from too much gumline and toothbrush contact and that switching to an electric toothbrush would be my best. So, I did, however, change the way I was brushing. Less force, gentle and not as much on the gumline. I recently purchased an electric toothbrush almost a month ago and I do not feel like my problem has changed at all. They still have a frayed appearance and they make me feel self-conscious because I know how pink my gums used to be. When I look at them in the mirror they look red and a little puffy, but not really. It has been almost three months since that dental visit and I am not sure what else I can do to help my problem. If you have any suggestions, then please let me know. I was not told as gingivitis, just a mild irritation due to aggressive brushing. Have I done a permanent damage? It has been present for almost three months. I was taking Chateal birth control pill and stopped it a week before to see if this was a part of the issue. I have attached photos for your reference.

#

• You have an excellent set of healthy teeth. By observing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the gums do seem to have puffiness, but only of mild nature.
  • The brush whether electric or not does not matter, just do not touch the gums and stick to the teeth while brushing.
  • Puffiness of gums seems to be the result of taking the birth control pills as they are hormones, which alter the physiology of the body and have an effect on the whole body. It will not go away just by a week of stopping those pills but will have to be stopped for a long time to regain the health of gums.
  • I suggest you use warm salt water gargle three times a day for two weeks. It will give some relief, but it is hard to remove it completely unless you stop the medication for at least two months.
  • Anyway, it will not affect your hygiene of the teeth and can be maintained like that by using salt water gargle or mouthwash.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full »

Why does the tooth next to the extraction site feel weird?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, I got my upper left wisdom tooth removed. I feel the tooth next to extracted tooth is sensitive to pressure while biting and cold. Is it normal? The extraction was straight forward, but the root was crooked. So, there was some little difficulty in extraction.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»