Q. Can I whiten my teeth myself while having my braces on?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

Can teeth whitening loosen the brackets on braces? I want to whiten my teeth with my whitening kit - it is Carbamide Peroxide gel combined with the use of a blue LED-light mouthguard for 10 minutes a day. Can this damage the glue or adhesive that holds brackets to teeth? Kindly advise.

#

Teeth staining is a common side effect seen during orthodontic treatment, but it is reversible after the treatment. Indeed, Carbamide Peroxide is used for teeth whitening. During the orthodontic treatment, it should not harm the adhesive of the brackets but constant putting and removing the mouthguard might cause physical damage to brackets and associated items such as wires and elastics. Chemically, it would not harm the bond strength. So, I suggest using the procedure carefully without much physical stress to brackets and doing it only if necessary. If possible, avoid it till the completion of treatment, and post orthodontic refinements can take care of it.

Do reach out for further information. Have a good day. Thanks and regards.

|