Q. I had TT one month ago. Should I get TT again as my dog licked my toes?

Dr. Rajendran R. Nayar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I had TT one month ago. Today, my dog licked my foot toes. Is there a need for getting a TT again?

Kindly help.

#

From your statement, I understand that a dog licked your toes, and you want to know if you require a further dose of TT vaccine (Tetanus Toxoid), which you took a month ago. By vaccine, I understand you are referring to TT and not the anti-rabies vaccine. The administration of TT would depend on many factors.

If you have been immunized in your childhood with four doses of DPT (diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis) along with a booster at five years and ten years, then you need to take a booster dose of TT only once in ten years, and therefore you do not require it now.

If you have not taken primary vaccination, use this opportunity to complete the vaccine course by taking a dose of TT four to eight weeks after your previous dose followed by a third dose six months after the second dose.

If the dog has only licked your toes, you have to wash it with soap and water.

I hope I have answered your question.

Would you please let me know if I can assist you further?

Take care and regards.

|