Q. Is my recurrent throat infection due to mono?

Published on Oct 17, 2017

I had strep infection about a month ago. It took 6 to 10 days to get cured with the antibiotics. It has come back in the same way again. Should I take the same antibiotics? Could it be something else like a mono tonsilitis? I am currently taking Imuran 50 mg. Please give your opinion.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post.

• You have received the antibiotics one month back for streptococcal infection. You cannot take the same antibiotics at this time because it has been less than three months. So, you need a different antibiotic with a different mechanism of action.
  • Yes, there is a possibility that it might be viral only.

For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me first enlighten you about tonsils. Tonsils are a pair of soft tissues located on either side of your pharynx. They are lymphoid tissue and play an important role in immune system to fight infections and act as first line defense for throat infections. ...  Read Full

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full

Will Sinarest help in throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat and unable to speak. I have started Augmentin 625 since yesterday with no relief so far.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antibiotics usually take some time to show their effect. Since you have been started on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication from yesterday, finish the course as directed and you will be fine. If you feel ill after completion of course, then we will go for a ch...  Read Full