Q. My daughter has a throat infection, and cough. Please suggest some medicine.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Nov 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

My 23 years old daughter is having a throat infection, sore throat, and cough from yesterday. No medications taken so far.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Did she develop a fever? If she did, then it indicates a bacterial infection mostly and hence antibiotics should be started.

If she has only throat pain, without fever, I will advise doing saline water gargling (a pinch of salt in warm water), at least three to four times a day. That will help all the mucus to come out, and help in faster recovery.

If she has developed fever with body pain, then it is better to give her Levofloxacin 500 mg once daily for five to seven days, depending on the severity. For fever Paracetamol or Calpol or Dolo 650 can be given after food. For her cough you can give Codeine syrup two teaspoons twice daily based on her severity.

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Is this pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your chest x-ray appears normal. There is no pneumonia. What you have is an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI), mostly caused by viruses. This is a self-limited disease and usually clears up within seven days on its own. Sometimes, cough can persist a while lon...  Read Full

Will Sinarest help in throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat and unable to speak. I have started Augmentin 625 since yesterday with no relief so far.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antibiotics usually take some time to show their effect. Since you have been started on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication from yesterday, finish the course as directed and you will be fine. If you feel ill after completion of course, then we will go for a ch...  Read Full

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had protected intercourse and so the chance of HIV is less. The mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. But still, for peace of the mind, it is advisable to investigate with CMIA combo ELISA test for HIV after six weeks of exposure. Your rashes seem to be a...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now