Q. Fine needle aspiration shows benign mass on thyroid, but I have throat pain. What to do?

Dr. Pruthvi Raju Uppalapati

Dry cough and tickle in throat pain occasionally from right side of neck to my ear. MRI showed a mass on right side of thyroid had a fine needle aspiration done on it, they poked it 9 times to try and get enough for the screen. The results came back saying: This needle core was done in the possibility that may not be enough epithelium in the cytology specimen. The core; however, does only shows benign soft tissue and skeletal muscle and is noncontributory. And said it is benign. That was 3 months ago and I now have a cough and a tickle in the throat. Also occasionally with a pain in my ear. Should I get another doctor to look at it? FREE T4. 1.29 Thyroid stimulating hormone .95

Dr. Pruthvi Raju Uppalapati

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hello.

Good to hear from you. I understand your situation. Firstly, regarding the neck swelling that concerns you, since there is no evidence of malignancy in any of the investigations do not worry about it. As your blood thyroid levels are also normal without any medication, do not be concerned about it. Secondly, about the cough n throat pain that you have, it has nothing to do with your neck swelling. Do/did you have any cold.? The cough might be because of a mild infection or an allergy or a reflux. So if u can get treated for this you’ll be fine. I suggest you to try the following medication.

1. Tab amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily after food for 5 days.

2. Tab levicetrizine 5 mg once daily before sleep for 7 days.

3. Tab pantaprazole 40mg once daily before breakfast for 7 days

4. Syrup gunaphesin 10 ml thrice daily

Infection/allergy

Chest x Ray

URTI

medical

Avoid cold food.

After completing medication.

|